What's new

RESIDUAL SLICKNESS: Top 10 soaps of all time?

I've been trying artisan makers and all have been phenomenal, but I may have to give the nod to Wholly Kaw; King of Oud, in this instance. I was amazed how slick everything still was with seemingly no lather. The razor glided over just as smoothly. Very impressive. Barrister and Mann Excelsior is slick stuff too.
+1

You should also see Siero.

Today I did a side-by-side comparison using SV Stella Alpina 4.2 and SW Necromantic.

I did a 3 pass shave against 48 hour whiskers: ATG, ATG, WTG.

I did not relather before the 3rd pass, so basically using whatever residue from the prior pass and some water from rinsing the razor.

I didn't notice any difference during the 3rd pass in terms of blade feel. I went over a few areas about 5 times. No nicks no cuts no abrasions on either side of my face. Alum stick felt about the same, just a hint no burn, maybe slightly less tingle on the SV side.

After the 3rd pass I rubbed my fingers across my checks (not trying to stretch the skin) and both felt the same.

Then I tried to do some skin stretching. This is where I noticed a difference. On the left side of my face where I used the SV soap, it was easy to do skin stretching. On the right side where I used the SW croap it was impossible to do any skin stretching (my fingers kept slipping over the skin).

So, IMO, the difference in residual slickness between SV and SW didn't affect the results of the shave. But if you accept skin stretching (after a pass) as a measure of residual slickness, then IMO SV doesnt have any noticeable residual slickness and SW does. If you want more details send me a PM and I'll try to be more detailed/scientific about it.
Just excellent. Impossible to hold the skin tight with SW. If water touches the face, even when there is no lather, then it feels like ice.

+1

You should also see Siero.

I like a selection of crowd pleaser and 'different', but I've been incredibly satisfied and impressed with my selections, thus far. I've decided I'm going head first (and blind) into the Vor V line, which the soap is Siero base. And who can argue with the artwork?

Today I did a side-by-side comparison using SV Stella Alpina 4.2 and SW Necromantic.

I did a 3 pass shave against 48 hour whiskers: ATG, ATG, WTG.

I did not relather before the 3rd pass, so basically using whatever residue from the prior pass and some water from rinsing the razor.

I didn't notice any difference during the 3rd pass in terms of blade feel. I went over a few areas about 5 times. No nicks no cuts no abrasions on either side of my face. Alum stick felt about the same, just a hint no burn, maybe slightly less tingle on the SV side.

After the 3rd pass I rubbed my fingers across my checks (not trying to stretch the skin) and both felt the same.

Then I tried to do some skin stretching. This is where I noticed a difference. On the left side of my face where I used the SV soap, it was easy to do skin stretching. On the right side where I used the SW croap it was impossible to do any skin stretching (my fingers kept slipping over the skin).

So, IMO, the difference in residual slickness between SV and SW didn't affect the results of the shave. But if you accept skin stretching (after a pass) as a measure of residual slickness, then IMO SV doesnt have any noticeable residual slickness and SW does. If you want more details send me a PM and I'll try to be more detailed/scientific about it.
Thanks for the detailed review, I really appreciate it.

I too have been doing some comparisons for the last couple of days. Namely, pitching Opuntia 4.3 against the A&E new kaizen base The Undersea and Kaizen. While the A&E lather is noticeably different in texture, the shave with all 3 is absolutely phenomenal. So far, I honestly couldn't decide which is the best soap. I love them all. The post shave feel with all 3 soaps is superb, frankly there is no need for any additional product, as the skin feels moisturized. That said, I always rub the lather leftovers while I clean my gear and this alone is more than enough for a skin treatment.

However, I wouldn't do the shave w/o a good A/S splash. The Undersea followed by a Desert Vetiver is a match made in heaven. I don't have the A&E A/S, but the A&E-SV combo works wonders for me. 😎

1610439862892.png

Thanks for the detailed review, I really appreciate it.

I too have been doing some comparisons for the last couple of days. Namely, pitching Opuntia 4.3 against the A&E new kaizen base The Undersea and Kaizen. While the A&E lather is noticeably different in texture, the shave with all 3 is absolutely phenomenal. So far, I honestly couldn't decide which is the best soap. I love them all. The post shave feel with all 3 soaps is superb, frankly there is no need for any additional product, as the skin feels moisturized. That said, I always rub the lather leftovers while I clean my gear and this alone is more than enough for a skin treatment.

However, I wouldn't do the shave w/o a good A/S splash. The Undersea followed by a Desert Vetiver is a match made in heaven. I don't have the A&E A/S, but the A&E-SV combo works wonders for me. 😎

View attachment 1207517
Fantastic. Try also the CK-6 to compare.

It’s killing me! I’ve sworn off buying anything this year until I run out of something, and I’ve got enough soap to see me into 2022. I so want to try Kaizen!
Well, you're not the only one 😁 😂 🤣

After a relatively short period of time in this hobby (is it really a hobby?) I've arrived at a conclusion that I'll treat any sort of RAD by buying only outstanding products, be it software or hardware.

That way, by going for the very best you separate the wheat from the chaff.

It's not a 100% solution, but it helps.

As for soaps, with those 3 in the above pic and a few others I've got, I am truly done for the year, possibly longer. I might add a cream or two, though... just for fun.

Well, you're not the only one 😁 😂 🤣

After a relatively short period of time in this hobby (is it really a hobby?) I've arrived at a conclusion that I'll treat any sort of RAD by buying only outstanding products, be it software or hardware.

That way, by going for the very best you separate the wheat from the chaff.

It's not a 100% solution, but it helps.

As for soaps, with those 3 in the above pic and a few others I've got, I am truly done for the year, possibly longer. I might add a cream or two, though... just for fun.
I’ve got a crock of MWF that is 90% full, a tub of TOBS that is 80% full. Three Sterling samples I have not touched, two Sterling samples with a couple of shaves on them and 29 untouched TOBS samples. I am having trouble even justifying a top tier soap at this time.

I’ve got a crock of MWF that is 90% full, a tub of TOBS that is 80% full. Three Sterling samples I have not touched, two Sterling samples with a couple of shaves on them and 29 untouched TOBS samples. I am having trouble even justifying a top tier soap at this time.
Alright, here's another hint:

When you go for top tier software, arguably the performance of each and any will be sublime, right?

So, the only true differentiator is the scent. Think about it like this:

Great Performance, but I don't like the Scent
Great Performance and I LOVE the Scent

So, when you introduce the scent component into the equation, the options reduce a fair bit.

I guess I'm lucky in that I more or less know what works for me in terms of scent. Should say that being married for 20 years does help 😎

You ve got enough soaps, but Kaizen is something else, of course you will get one eventually!!
Indeed so... at first I was like "man what's wrong with this lather"... as it seemed to never want to reduce, it was SOOOOOOO tick and dense, but whatta feel. It is out of this world. And I mean everything - the glide, the residual slickness, the feel, the scent, the post shave feel. It is just amazing.

So, go ahead @TexOkie Shaver, as it doesn't count. You're covered 😁 😂 🤣

Indeed so... at first I was like "man what's wrong with this lather"... as it seemed to never want to reduce, it was SOOOOOOO tick and dense, but whatta feel. It is out of this world. And I mean everything - the glide, the residual slickness, the feel, the scent, the post shave feel. It is just amazing.

So, go ahead @TexOkie Shaver, as it doesn't count. You're covered 😁 😂 🤣
Agreed. There are bad soaps, mediocre soaps, good soaps, great soaps, excellent soaps, fantastic soaps, unbelievable soaps and then there is Kaizen.

So simple.

I'm certain I'm not the only one working on his list of "The 100 All-Time Top Soaps for Residual Slickness," so I'll toss out this question: What soap do you guys have at #61 on your list?
@Owen Bawn, Due to my obvious lack of imagination, I wasn't able to come up with a better title for this thread. I apologize if that offends you in any way.

I appreciate the mild sarcasm in your weighing in on this issue, but sincerely my intention was not to spam the board.

I have but a dozen soaps altogether and frankly am looking fwd to 3017-ing my standard rotation down to no more than 4-5. As said, I'm somewhat new to this and so am looking around for what works best. So far the SV is my favorite all-around soap with these two recent additions from A&E sharing the "silver medal".

I have no plans for determining #61, #29 or #14 for that matter.

So, how about you Sir? What's your top 3 picks?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've never given it any thought until now. There sure are a lot of choices, I'll tell you that.

@Owen Bawn, Due to my obvious lack of imagination, I wasn't able to come up with a better title for this thread. I apologize if that offends you in any way.

I appreciate the mild sarcasm in your weighing in on this issue, but sincerely my intention was not to spam the board.

I have but a dozen soaps altogether and frankly am looking fwd to 3017-ing my standard rotation down to no more than 4-5. As said, I'm somewhat new to this and so am looking around for what works best. So far the SV is my favorite all-around soap with these two recent additions from A&E sharing the "silver medal".

I have no plans for determining #61, #29 or #14 for that matter.

So, how about you Sir? What's your top 3 picks?
Could you find any difference between the 4.0 and 4.3 formulation?

Top Bottom