What's new

Reserves/National Guard

M

modern man

Anyone, anyone?

Back in the Navy for me, well part time anyway.

Guess I have to loose the vet badge. :frown:

Here is something funny, 10 years active duty and I never received a reenlistment bonus but USNR gives me 10 grand. :confused:

proxy.php

You might have to earn that ten grand.

Congrats!

This guy. Actually wanting to go Navy reserve or Air Force Reserve. The Guard promotion system isn't so hot. I've watched full timers who've never deployed and had there PT tests pencil whipped get promoted past me too often. That and I want to be a Hospitalman/ Corpsman though I have no idea if the Navy will let re-class me. If not this guy is more than willing to spend the rest of my days as a civilian.

Anyone, anyone?

Back in the Navy for me, well part time anyway.

Guess I have to loose the vet badge. :frown:

Here is something funny, 10 years active duty and I never received a reenlistment bonus but USNR gives me 10 grand. :confused:

I'm back after a very long hiatus! Congrats on freedom! How do you get a vet badge?

I'm currently in the Navy Reserve. Have been since '05. Have done one tour in the sandbox.
You meet some of the best people in the service.
"We Build, We Fight"

This guy. Actually wanting to go Navy reserve or Air Force Reserve. The Guard promotion system isn't so hot. I've watched full timers who've never deployed and had there PT tests pencil whipped get promoted past me too often. That and I want to be a Hospitalman/ Corpsman though I have no idea if the Navy will let re-class me. If not this guy is more than willing to spend the rest of my days as a civilian.

Coast Guard ! Health Service Technician I cross-decked from the Navy as a HM and never regretted it... way more independent duty!

The Guard promotion system isn't so hot.
This is a common complaint with the Guard. I am full-time ANG and have to wait until the next senior person retires before I have a shot at promotion. There are only two positions senior to me - both people in those positions retire well before I do, so I am in a good position.

Advancement on the traditional (weekender) side is a bit more balanced because there are more positions and more turnover; however, the number of positions lessens as the rank increases.

I've watched full timers who've never deployed and had there PT tests pencil whipped get promoted past me too often.

I don't know how the ARNG works, but with the ANG full-time and traditional positions couldn't be more separate. Effectively, I have two manning documents - one for traditional positions and one for full-time. The positions are tied to status, i.e. drilling versus AGR. I cannot promote an ARG by putting him into a traditional position with a higher grade unless he resigns his AGR position. The same goes for traditionals. I cannot promote a traditional E-6 into an AGR E-7 slot unless that person wins a full-time position. There are things I can do with our manning document to shift people around and open promotions for traditional members that I cannot do for full-time members (double slot, overgrade). It becomes a bit of a shell game at times.

In the ANG the days of pencil-whipping PT scores are over. The test is now administered by civilians at the fitness center. The entire system has become a PITA, but like anything, we will adapt. I know of several people who will not be retained when their current term expires due to failing PT tests. As of now, a failing PT score means no promotion, no schools, no orders - even contingency deployments. There will be several full-time openings at the beginning of the next fiscal year because of this.

Ten years as an Engineer in the Army Reserves. I will finally have my degree in a few months, and then I'm going to make some choices about whether or not to go OCS or switch units or MOS and whatnot. They're restructuring again and things are getting a little strange. Was scheduled for an NCOES this summer that abruptly got cancelled, and now I'm being told that I may have to find another unit because I'm overslotted both in my current and promotable rank.

I'm going to make some choices about whether or not to go OCS or switch units or MOS and whatnot.

I would highly recommend that you consider OCS. Being an officer is not as bad as some Enlisted think. Since you have been Enlisted you have a lot more insight on what the folks under you see and think. I am very happy I took my Commission- I have met some extraordinary folks in all services- both officers and Enlisted, the pay and perks aint bad in my mind. Above all you contribute a bit to all Americans.........

Good Luck

As a crusty former Staff NCO, I agree with what diphy says.

I wouldn't have traded my stripes for a commission, but the world needs good officers. Most, but not all, of the good ones I met were prior enlisted.

If the idea intrigues you, go for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom