What's new

Researching Holsters is worse than a newbie researching soaps, blades and brushes!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
In anticipation of CC’ing a P365X IWB I have been researching holsters. I initially thought a Tier 1 sidecar holster would be best, but it seems to be more of an enthusiast’s/young man’s thing where guys don’t mind stuffing 3 pounds of Kydex down their pants and altering their method of tieing shoes and picking up stuff off the ground. I also see prices run the gamut as well. I’m not adverse to spending the money on quality.

Any sage advice as far as makers? So far I’m leaning towards a Tenicor Certum. It’s minimalist, has adjustments for height and cant, allows for different attachment options etc.

I’m also intrigued with leather holsters, so my next task is to research those. Suggestions for leather IWB holster makers would be appreciated too.

As of now Appendix or strong side would be what I would try my hand at first.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if there are better options out there, but I've enjoyed my Bravo Concealment holsters for the past few years.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
One of, if not the best, leather holster is made by Milt Sparks. The downside is that they are expensive and the wait time is currently 30-34 weeks for a holster. All of my Sparks holsters are over 15yrs old and still going strong. They do keep a limited number of holsters in stock, check to see if they have one for your pistol. A lot of Sparks holsters are copied by other makers with varying amounts of success.

I really like Privateer leather. I have one holster by Wes and another on order. Prices are good and wait times are only 10-12 weeks. I’ll be ordering more from him in the future.

Do you need or want a certain type of retention? Are you only looking at IWB? You will end up with a box of holsters, they multiply like razors. Everyone is always looking for the perfect holster much like the perfect razor.

I wore TT Gunleather IWB holsters for many, many years in my past professional life. I swear by leather, because plastic seems to make noise, not form to the user over time, attachments work themselves loose at the worst times, and usually imprints on CCW clothing more than leather. I watched too many younger folks struggle to wear plastic holsters comfortably for 8 to 12 hours a day. Happy hunting.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yes, you will end up with a box of holsters. While you can get all kinds of good recommendations, only trial and error will prove which is best for you. Your body build, any shoulder mobility issues, or other limitations can make picking the perfect holster a unique experience. In hot weather, I tend not to wear an undershirt so that with any IWB rig, the holster and gun is against my skin, so that may be a consideration in picking your holster. Minimalist holsters can be great, until you start shooting and then have to re-holster a hot pistola. I had a kydex IWB sized for a Glock 27. It was an open muzzle design, so a Glock 19 would fit in it. Worked great until I went to the range. After shooting several rounds eventually the pistol got hot enough to blister my thigh. At first it was just warm, then it was uncomfortably warm, and then it became too hot to re-holster as the shooting session progressed.
I have a now discontinued Milt Sparks "Roadrunner" holster for a full sized 1911, a high-rise pancake design. The design intention was to make it easier to draw while seated in a car. But with shoulder mobility issues, it made my draw very slow and awkward. I'm sure someone without those mobility issues would have done just fine with it, but not me. So for me, I want any holster, whether IWB or OWB, to place the gun as low as possible and still be able to get a good firing grip while fully holstered.
I am not trim enough around the waist to pull off AIWB.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
In anticipation of CC’ing a P365X IWB I have been researching holsters. I initially thought a Tier 1 sidecar holster would be best, but it seems to be more of an enthusiast’s/young man’s thing where guys don’t mind stuffing 3 pounds of Kydex down their pants and altering their method of tieing shoes and picking up stuff off the ground. I also see prices run the gamut as well. I’m not adverse to spending the money on quality.

Any sage advice as far as makers? So far I’m leaning towards a Tenicor Certum. It’s minimalist, has adjustments for height and cant, allows for different attachment options etc.

I’m also intrigued with leather holsters, so my next task is to research those. Suggestions for leather IWB holster makers would be appreciated too.

Nobody probably knows the Sig Sauer P365, better than the people at Sig Sauer?

Have you considered looking at the many holsters and accessories they advertise on their website? :)

Before I sold my P365 and got me a Glock 43X, I purchased two holsters from their website. A nice leather holster for comfortable hip carry and a kydex for appendix carry.

Kydex is better for tummy carry then leather. Leather is better for OWB on the hip then kydex.

I would jump on the Blackpoint Tactical appendix while you can. All Blackpoint holsters made for the Sig 365 are on sale for close out. Get it cheap while you can.

When the P365 first came out, it was probably the number one premier appendix holster sold.

Bravo Concealment is good, but I've found some of theirs to be not quite as "refined" as some others (e.g., I've had to round/mold some edges for comfort).

I AIWB exclusively, so I also "wedge & claw." I'm 5'10" & 195#, so I need a bit of tuck-in, where I didn't, 20 pounds ago. That generally leaves leather as a secondary option, tho' you can epoxy some velcro on to attach a wedge.

My personal favorites:

Tucker Leather Cover-up, rough out. Leather holds better than kydex, if you anticipate rough-n-tumble, and can be more comfortable for some people.

Philster Pro, hands down the best kydex option.

The Tenicor looks good, with modular options (i.e., you can add the claw or wedge, if you want), but the Philster gets you in with a nicely rounded wedge at the muzzle.

AWIB is not just sticking the holster down the front of your pants, there is a "pocket" that most people will find if they don't have some guru telling them it HAS TO BE at 12/1/2 o'clock. It will be at one of those, but your build will tell you where.

Edit: I use Dale Fricke's (single)horizontal mag pouch most of the time, as many IWB pouches sit too high and will wiggle up/over your belt, if you move around much.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
One of, if not the best, leather holster is made by Milt Sparks. The downside is that they are expensive and the wait time is currently 30-34 weeks for a holster. All of my Sparks holsters are over 15yrs old and still going strong. They do keep a limited number of holsters in stock, check to see if they have one for your pistol. A lot of Sparks holsters are copied by other makers with varying amounts of success.

I really like Privateer leather. I have one holster by Wes and another on order. Prices are good and wait times are only 10-12 weeks. I’ll be ordering more from him in the future.

Do you need or want a certain type of retention? Are you only looking at IWB? You will end up with a box of holsters, they multiply like razors. Everyone is always looking for the perfect holster much like the perfect razor.

Being in Hawaii I would never wear anything other than a T-shirt/polo shirt, so to conceal I assume IWB is the best way? Recently the Police Chief here encouraged citizens to call the cops if they see anyone wearing a gun. To that end I think maybe appendix IWB might be the best for a newbie to concealed carry, at least in the beginning to avoid getting the cops called on them since a quick look down would be enough to confirm concealment.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would say that appendix carry is more of an advanced technique, I'd start with a more conventional IWB carry, YMMV.

OkieStubble

Being in Hawaii I would never wear anything other than a T-shirt/polo shirt, so to conceal I assume IWB is the best way? Recently the Police Chief here encouraged citizens to call the cops if they see anyone wearing a gun. To that end I think maybe appendix IWB might be the best for a newbie to concealed carry, at least in the beginning to avoid getting the cops called on them since a quick look down would be enough to confirm concealment.

I actually saw a pocket holster on the Sig website. I don’t know how someone would carry a P365 in a pocket?

It makes sense you being In Hawaii only wearing t-shirts and polos going appendix since the shirt draping gives great coverage in the front.

But not to be excluded, another option could be a IWB small of the back carry? You’ll get the same draping as in the front? Just a thought. :)

You need to check out the Philster holster that @Rob72 suggested. It would give you a deeper and more comfortable appendix carry.

It ain’t cheap, but it sure has a bunch of great reviews.

I wear Hawaiian shirts primarily. I like AIWB, totally up front with my bias here.

It is soooo much easier to control your shirt tails unobtrusively in windy conditions, you'll never encounter a seat/chair that makes you wonder if you'll be able to get up without hooking it or clonking on it, easier to stay covered if you have to reach overhead(rarely do we reach vertically overhead, usually there is a forward incline that pulls the rear of the shirt up an inch or so more in back than front).

Basic rules:
1. there is no award for rapid re-holster, always sweep & guide and preferably look at the holster
2. slight incline when you re-holster, shoulders slightly back, guide your weapon in so that the muzzle points out slightly (a wedge on your holster helps naturally with this)
3. dry-fire & draw. A Lot.

Google Paul Gomez on YouTube. He has/had some of the best AIWB practice & explanations out there & he liked Hawaiian style too.:cool:

Watch the body mechanics of folks that use and teach AIWB. You'll see lots of hands-forward motion & walking. It can be used as a cover, everything from being ready to gently keep from bumping into someone as you cross a doorway or crowded area to having your keys ready on the way to the car. Always able to unobtrusively hold that shirt down & protecting your core, as does any self-aware LEO, EMT, grappler, etc..
1671829582238.png

I just grabbed a stock photo. If this guy had his shirt out, and moved his hand inboard about 2 inches, it's the perfect model. Easy, relaxed, right there. If someone really surprised you, it would be totally natural to reflexively drop your keys and grab...downward.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Recently the Police Chief here encouraged citizens to call the cops if they see anyone wearing a gun.
I feel like this happens pretty frequently when historically anti-concealed carry jurisdictions are forced to allow people to carry. It usually subsided pretty quickly after off duty police officers are called in because someone saw “a person with a gun.”

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I will second Privateer- excellent quality.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Does your local sports store sell holsters? Here we are fortunate enough to go to the local big box sports store and look at a few to get some ideas.

No, but I’ll check the local gun stores. Sports Authority shut down years ago, and with up until now no CC ability there was no real demand. I’ll check out the gun shops tho for sure.

OkieStubble

Does your local sports store sell holsters? Here we are fortunate enough to go to the local big box sports store and look at a few to get some ideas.
I like to shop holsters at brick & mortar versus online as well. As long as you keep the receipt, you can take it home, try it out and return it if it’s not working out for you.

Shipping it back online is just a pain.

After spending more on holsters than what I paid for some guns, these are what I’ve settled on, and do not look any further.
For leather IWB, it’s either Milt Sparks VM2 or Criterion. Wait time on any Sparks holster is long, but can often be found at authorized dealers (Allan Yoast is my first choice) on the bay or other secondary markets (other forums). Leather OWB my go to is Tucker Gun Leather HF-1. Again wait time is long. The last order I placed for a holster and a belt earlier this year took 6 months.
If Kydex is your thing, I recommend the Crossbreed SuperTuck. Substantial savings can be had at CrossBreed Seconds - https://www.crossbreed-seconds.com/ No warranty on the seconds, but the savings makes it worth while.

Top Bottom