What's new

Rescaling a rescale

I bought this awesome Boss Klipper Ern from Matt quite a while ago, just the blade...
$boss klipper.jpg
Made a set of scales for it..
$Boss Klipper #2.jpg
Loved the blade, hated the scales! I nicked off the point on the end because I thought it looked corny, I think I made it worse..
$IMG_8448.jpgI've pretty much been planning on making new scales for it for the last four or five months I think? Finally got around to it last night.

I took some black palm and set a 1900 Indian head penny in it. I like the look quite a bit better. The wedge is some scrap laminating strip I had. Love the grain on this black palm, it is splintery and I have to be careful not to crack it while I am shaping it. I think it's my favorite scale material so far though.
$IMG_8443.jpg$IMG_8444.jpg$IMG_8445.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hot damn that's an improvement!

Im seriously not a fan of non-traditional shaped scales. Definitely worth doing

Thanks guys.

Hot damn that's an improvement!

Im seriously not a fan of non-traditional shaped scales. Definitely worth doing

There are some I like but they are made by very talented people and they look "correct" because their blade designs are out there with them. I thought mine looked like something a bad 80's hair band might use:) So yeah, traditional for me from now on especially on a nice vintage blade.

Thanks guys.

There are some I like but they are made by very talented people and they look "correct" because their blade designs are out there with them. I thought mine looked like something a bad 80's hair band might use:) So yeah, traditional for me from now on especially on a nice vintage blade.

Oh thank GOD. I thought I was the only one who saw scales like that and was regularly (not always) reminded of "CC-Deville" and his neon BC Rich Warlock guitar collection!

Oh thank GOD. I thought I was the only one who saw scales like that and was regularly (not always) reminded of "CC-Deville" and his neon BC Rich Warlock guitar collection!

:biggrin1:That's a lot more specific than I got with it but I could almost hear the screaming guitar riff when I pulled this blade out. Really awful.

The new scales are a bazillion times better. The grain is gorgeous. Good job!

Thanks!

Can you tell me how you set the coin into the wood please?

Sure, I use one of these bits
$IMG_8449.jpg
with the Dremel workstation, pictured:
$IMG_8450.jpg

I place the coin on the scales where I will want to set it and trace around it with an ink pen. I used a flat piece of tile and set it on the base of the workstation to have a larger flat surface that would be less likely to scratch the bottom side as I worked.
The workstation will function as a mini drill press so I slowly lowered the grinding bit into the scales. The wood will start to smoke and burn so I have to take it nice and easy! I just move the scales around a little to hollow it out where I've traced, and check it frequently to see how the coin is fitting.
It's a far from perfect way to do this and I'm trying to think of a more precise way to do it but it works okay. This is the second one I've done and I slowed it down quite a bit to make the fit better.
Here is the first:
$IMG_6348.jpg

Top Bottom