What's new

rescale and a lease on life.

this is what the beater looked like. it was cheap and I wanted something to work on.

H.M. Darling 6/8

20200529_060315.jpg

had to round the toe.....couldn't see on seller pic it had that issue....imagine that. at least I learned how to round and smooth one.

20200603_065823.jpg

more buffing etc......put the scales on today and set the bevel. had to drill scales and my first time peening. went well. a little more file work and peening to make her look at least presentable.

cheap scales but I kinda like how she looks now. my diamond paste arrived today too......so I can complete my balsa strops in .5u .25u and .1u

20200608_211513.jpg

education the hard way.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Well done. I hope that one day I can do as well as you.

I prefer to keep my Spanish point rather sharp and not rounded. Don't know why.

IMG_20200609_113826.jpg
That toe has only bitten my twice. I'm a slow learner, but I do learn.

Well done. I hope that one day I can do as well as you.

I prefer to keep my Spanish point rather sharp and not rounded. Don't know why.

That toe has only bitten my twice. I'm a slow learner, but I do learn.

trust me.....I would have rather the toe been in tact on this one......points are good for cruising under the edges of the stache and goat. very useful indeed for cleanup underneath.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
what would muted look like compared to rounding. I didnt have a lot of options.........half circle chunk out of the tip.

thanks

camo
Now that I've zoomed in and looked at the original toe, I see your reasoning for rounding it. Not much more you could have done without reworking the whole point.

what would muted look like compared to rounding. I didnt have a lot of options.........half circle chunk out of the tip.

thanks

camo

the mute more or less retains the look of a point but dulls the point. I looked at picture again and I’m not sure i exactly see anything other than perhaps heavy hone rolling on the toe. I think you did fine! Looks good!

rbscebu, mine is in the post and should arrive in the next few weeks. I don't think I'll be modifying the point; at least not until the blood flows or the ear falls off.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
rbscebu, mine is in the post and should arrive in the next few weeks. I don't think I'll be modifying the point; at least not until the blood flows or the ear falls off.
I hope you like it. My first W59 had about a 2mm smile, acceptable but it cracked while stropping. My second came with an almost 4mm smile. A bit too much for me so I bread-knifed it out and re-honed from scratch, like starting with a 180deg bevel angle.

Now my second W59 is a good (not yet the best) razor. After some use and work on my diamond pasted balsa strops, it might get there. That could take a while as my W59 is now relegated to being my checked-luggage travel SR.

the blade on my restore is most likely going to become a paperweight. tried setting it three times......and kept having issues on the right side bevel.

at first I thought it was me......but then I observed that what I believe is metal deterioration about center of bevel in the right side. loupe kept showing a brief sea waves pattern for no reason there. oddly enough doesn't appear on the other side.

bevel set three times....this problem didnt show until the last bevel set. I think it doesnt matter what I do.....the metal on this blade will not keep or hold an edge.

just for fun might grind the hades out of it this weekend.......and to see what good or more likely bad things happen.

I should of known there would be issues. pinhole or anthole went deep into the right bevel by the heel too.

sometimes have to accept a lost cause.

lesson to me learned: things might look okay on the surface of antiques.......but you dont know until you see what is underneath. even on a first hone.

education the hard way.

camo

Last edited:
Reactions: LJS

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
this is what the beater looked like. it was cheap and I wanted something to work on.

H.M. Darling 6/8

View attachment 1110819

had to round the toe.....couldn't see on seller pic it had that issue....imagine that. at least I learned how to round and smooth one.

View attachment 1110820

more buffing etc......put the scales on today and set the bevel. had to drill scales and my first time peening. went well. a little more file work and peening to make her look at least presentable.

cheap scales but I kinda like how she looks now. my diamond paste arrived today too......so I can complete my balsa strops in .5u .25u and .1u

View attachment 1110822

education the hard way.

camo

Wow! That's an amazing transformation! Well done!

at first I thought it was me......but then I observed that what I believe is metal deterioration about center of bevel in the right side. loupe kept showing a brief sea waves pattern for no reason there. oddly enough doesn't appear on the other side.

I don’t mean to second guess you, but something sounds kind of odd about that and doesn’t make sense to me.

Have any pics of what you are taking about?

I don’t mean to second guess you, but something sounds kind of odd about that and doesn’t make sense to me.

Have any pics of what you are taking about?

I thought so too......but on the hone that occurred and there is no reason for that to have happened. it's not like I was banging the edge around in stuff. I believe the metal in that area is compromised, deteriorating, or falling apart......or whatever. if everything was level I can not think of any other reason this could occur.......but I'm new to this. it would make more sense to me if this was occurring bilaterally.

got me????

pics of this impossible for me.....viewed thru 10x loupe.

camo

I have no personal experience about the matter, but I have read that if a razor had some rust on the edge at some point in it's life, you may have an issue. The metal is so thin on the edge that you can get, by way of explaining, a honeycombed effect throughout the metal on the edge.

It may be possible to hone it until you get to fresh stable material.

Nice work on the transformation!

I have no personal experience about the matter, but I have read that if a razor had some rust on the edge at some point in it's life, you may have an issue. The metal is so thin on the edge that you can get, by way of explaining, a honeycombed effect throughout the metal on the edge.

It may be possible to hone it until you get to fresh stable material.

Nice work on the transformation!

that what I was thinking. I removed and buffed a ton of crap off of it. the hole on the heel looked like a termite took up residence. will look at it again this weekend to see.....

I wont be upset......this was bought to doctor on.......and thats exactly what I'm doing.

camo

Last edited:
Top Bottom