What's new

Requesting Pipe Tobacco Assistance!

I retrohale quite a bit with my pipes. I get a tingle with perique. Depending on how much perique how big the tingle. Also I've noticed a definate tingle if I'm smoking it a little on the warm side or if the tobacco is a little too moist. Lots of aromatics are on the light side for flavor. You can pick up some of the really light flavors on the retrohale.

Corn cob pipes are a good cheap option for getting multiple pipes or sampling blends. I really like the big cobs for most of my aromatics.

You'll need a different pipe for aromatics - the flavorings will taint any non-aromatic tobacco you smoke in a pipe that's been used for aromatics. You should have several pipes anyway, resting your pipes is important.
My budget doesn't allow for multiple pipes just yet, but I only smoke every two days or so. I haven't bought any aromatics yet, so I'm okay in that regard, for now.

I think that vendor is widely regarded as bordering on scamming. I believe they send their packages less than legally and if they get confiscated at customs, you basically lose them. I might be wrong on that front, though, it's just what I've read.

As much as I find the price and idea of cobs appealing, I just find them extremely unattractive and I don't think I'd enjoy smoking one because of that. It may sound snobbish, but that's just my personal preference.

As much as I find the price and idea of cobs appealing, I just find them extremely unattractive and I don't think I'd enjoy smoking one because of that. It may sound snobbish, but that's just my personal preference.
Not at all. They are great pipes, but if you don't like 'em, why smoke 'em?

If you find that you really like this little hobby, it's easy enough to find some well-worn estates to fill out your rotation on the cheap. The resto is fairly easy and quite rewarding.

Not at all. They are great pipes, but if you don't like 'em, why smoke 'em?

If you find that you really like this little hobby, it's easy enough to find some well-worn estates to fill out your rotation on the cheap. The resto is fairly easy and quite rewarding.
Very very true. Smoke what you like. I'm surprised more peeps don't restore estates. The savings makes it very nice. I guess it is not for everyone though.

Very very true. Smoke what you like. I'm surprised more peeps don't restore estates. The savings makes it very nice. I guess it is not for everyone though.
I have a thread documenting how I restored my first pipe on a budget, but some operations are a bit difficult to do without the proper tools. I think your success also depends on where you originate from and your access to certain resources. I think that American pipe smokers are very fortunate in many regards - it's a great place for the hobby!

I have a thread documenting how I restored my first pipe on a budget, but some operations are a bit difficult to do without the proper tools. I think your success also depends on where you originate from and your access to certain resources. I think that American pipe smokers are very fortunate in many regards - it's a great place for the hobby!
This is true, but you can likely find some gems in the UK, or take a shot on the 'bay - hundreds of pipes to sift through there.

For sure. Depends on your mechanical ability too I guess. To use the tool and perform the appropriate tasks. Kinda goes for anything diy.

Have you considered a clay pipe? They are inexpensive and give the best opportunity to enjoy a smoke that's free from the ghosts of previously-smoked tobacco. Just don't clench the bit, and coat the bit with varnish or wax or something. They can break if you aren't careful but they aren't as fragile as they look.

Have you considered a clay pipe? They are inexpensive and give the best opportunity to enjoy a smoke that's free from the ghosts of previously-smoked tobacco. Just don't clench the bit, and coat the bit with varnish or wax or something. They can break if you aren't careful but they aren't as fragile as they look.
They will also burn the bejesus out of your fingers if you're not careful.:cursing:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
After my first smoking experience with a pipe last night, I can completely understand you!

I believe my tobacco was too wet (Squadron Leader, loose), so it burned quite hot and the pipe started gurgling quite often, something not fixed by running a pipe cleaner through while smoking. The taste was quite acrid and I couldn't really distinguish any other flavours apart from very hot tobacco. Thankfully there was very little tongue bite. The till assistant at the CCC told me that the tobacco would be ready to smoke, but it was quite difficult to pack (gravity filling didn't really work as the tobacco clumped together quite a lot) and I just thought it was slightly on the wetter side, not having much experience with pipe weed.

Apart from the too wet tobacco, I think my packing technique was completely off. I tried the 3 pack method, but the draw was extremely loose. Could this have anything to do with the draught hole being very large? I tried tamping the tobacco down quite forcefully and that helped quite a lot and I didn't have to relight as often, but even then, the tobacco kept expanding quite a lot and becoming loose when relighting it, even with tamping.
All SG tobaccos need drying time- you will get an idea for amount of time by feel and experience. This has never bothered me about SG- I would rather have tobacco that is moist than dry. It is easier to dry it than to rehydrate it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My budget doesn't allow for multiple pipes just yet, but I only smoke every two days or so. I haven't bought any aromatics yet, so I'm okay in that regard, for now.

I think that vendor is widely regarded as bordering on scamming. I believe they send their packages less than legally and if they get confiscated at customs, you basically lose them. I might be wrong on that front, though, it's just what I've read.

I am that way with billiards. I PIFed a perfectly good Butz Choquin because I don't care for the shape.

A bit of an update:

I've tried all the blends I've bought and I really enjoyed the Nightcap. The taste was milder than expected, but very smooth and I loved the campfire, toasty note.

I'm just coming back from smoking the Four Squires flake, which I had to rub out (it had already broken apart a bit during transport) and I tried the breath method for the first time with it. I believe I might have packed a bit too much tobacco in my tiny bowl, the draw was fine, but I smoked for over an hour and a half! The breath method is truly amazing, flavours build up throughout every breath cycle until you exhale and I didn't overheat the bowl, get any tongue bite or have any moisture problems, even when intentionally speeding up my breaths experimentally. The whole method I find very intuitive and natural.

As far as the Four Squires flake is concerned - great tobacco! The flavour is extremely mild, I just get the taste of the tobacco and mild sweet notes, a bit syrupy (think maple syrup) but without any of the cloying sweetness. The retrohale notes are very pleasant, with a lot of woody notes. Not entirely sure if it was the breath method or this flake, but I only had to relight once during the whole bowl and, apart from the unburnt tobacco underneath the draught hole, the bowl was full of thick, wonderfully springy, white ash. It smoked very cool throughout.

Towards the end of the bowl, though, at around the 75-minute mark, I got struck by a major nicotine hit, something I didn't experience with any of the other blends. I feel like I've just had 4 double espressos right now, powerful stuff! Who would've thought that a very mild-tasting straight virginia blend would pack such a kick? :117:

Top Bottom