What's new

Request to change reaction icons order

Would it be possible to change the layout of the post reaction icons?
When reacting to others posts the love, like, laugh and wow buttons are far away from the center and the icon bar is narrow.

When reacting while using a laptop computer the narrow band for the icons and the distance away from center make it difficult to click on those buttons. If your mouse strays north or south from the narrow bar then it disappears, this makes it difficult because then you have to go back to the initial like icon to make the bar reappear again and then try again. Sometimes it takes three tries or more.
When doing this from the phone it is not an issue because the icon bar stays in place.
Thanks for your consideration and quite impressed with this great site

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Would it be possible to change the layout of the post reaction icons?
When reacting to others posts the love, like, laugh and wow buttons are far away from the center and the icon bar is narrow.

When reacting while using a laptop computer the narrow band for the icons and the distance away from center make it difficult to click on those buttons. If your mouse strays north or south from the narrow bar then it disappears, this makes it difficult because then you have to go back to the initial like icon to make the bar reappear again and then try again. Sometimes it takes three tries or more.
When doing this from the phone it is not an issue because the icon bar stays in place.
Thanks for your consideration and quite impressed with this great site
We're looking at the reaction emojis right now

Arranging them efficiently is something we can look at!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Any chance you can post a screenshot? I will help to see what you see with improving the order.

Thank you, Screenshot attached.
This is the icon bar while pointer is hovering over the "Like" button.
We can see how narrow this icon bar is and the distance to these popular icons. It seems also significant that as soon as the pointer strays off of the icon bar it disappears.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 12.07.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 12.07.42 AM.png
    468.3 KB · Views: 20

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I believe this is simply the software using the available space. This is what it looks like on the cell phone. The software automatically stacks them.

It’s possible we may be able to stack them permanently. We’d have to look in to it

601FA31D-6DE8-4767-A06B-6672B5AC1643.jpeg

It's not an issue; from the like icon you move the cursor up into the selection and they stay on screen. You just move the cursor right or left within the block to choose your icon. Then tap the pad with the cursor on your selected emoji. It is very easy on the laptop.
I did get caught out initially but soon realised moving the cursor outside the emoji block closes the selection. I suppose a square block is very maginally easier but moving the cursor horizontally is very easy anyway.
Just tapping the like icon will select the default thumbs up emoji.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It's not an issue; from the like icon you move the cursor up into the selection and they stay on screen. You just move the cursor right or left within the block to choose your icon. Then tap the pad with the cursor on your selected emoji. It is very easy on the laptop.
I did get caught out initially but soon realised moving the cursor outside the emoji block closes the selection. I suppose a square block is very maginally easier but moving the cursor horizontally is very easy anyway.
Just tapping the like icon will select the default thumbs up emoji.
Hope this helps.
Not helpful at all, but thanks for your attention.
You have simply stated the operation and dismissed the difficulty of staying within the boundary of the block. When using a trackpad and having a laptop with high resolution it is not very easy, considerable accuracy is required to stay within the very narrow block. In actuality the block shows as 0.4" in total height and movement to the far left from center is about 3" this is a very narrow constraint.
When I hover over the like the block does not stack and is not persistent. This situation is aggravated when scrolling through and responding to a large number of replies and time is not unlimited. I'm sure that using an actual mouse would help but that does no good if you're using the trackpad. Yes the current set up for the response block is functional however it's just aggravating.

Thanks for your attention

Last edited:
I offer the following suggestions of correction to help us all understand the simplicity of the situation.
Any single one of these three options or any combination used in aggregate would sufficiently correct the current situation/aggravation.

1. Change the vertical dimension of response block either directly or by permanently stacking the icons.

2. Rearrange the reaction icons so that the most popular ones are nearest to Center, directly above the like button.
Those would be the like, love, laugh and wow.

3. Change the reaction bar to be persistent after hovering over the initial blue like icon.
It, the reaction bar, could stay persistent until clicked on directly or clicked elsewhere on the page. This would mimic how the mobile website works.

Thanks again for your consideration

When using a trackpad and having a laptop with high resolution it is not very easy, considerable accuracy is required to stay within the very narrow block. In actuality the block shows as 0.4" in total height and movement to the far left from center is about 3" this is a very narrow constraint.
I am using a trackpad the same as you and 0.4" height block of emojis is very easy to work with and traverse to access any emoji. I still don't see why you are having great difficulty with the emoji selection; perhaps your cursor is too sensitive.
I did also a say a square block of emojis would be marginally easy to work with.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@Buflow

Now that we have the newest reaction in place, I have re-arranged them into a more user friendly format with more commonly used reactions towards the center.
Like is at the far left, even though it is frequently used, but "Like" is the default if you just click "Like", so there's no need to have it center.

Top Bottom