What's new

Reputable Sources for True Shave Ready Razor - Beginner

Hi Guys,

I've been thinking about getting into straight razor shaving and am looking for a list of reputable sites to order a shave ready razor from.

I've seen a couple people here recommend https://thesuperiorshave.com/products/ and Home | Crescent City Razors - https://www.crescentcityrazors.com/

I was hoping to spend anywhere from $60-130 on the razor and then maybe about $30 to $50 on a strop.

Are there any other reputable websites out there selling actual shave ready straight razors? I've seen Razor emporium claims their razors to be shave ready but their less than stellar reputation on B&B is sort of scaring me off. If anyone has any experience with RE shave ready razors that would also be useful.

Thanks!

I purchased a shave ready Gold Dollar from Crescent City Razors (aka Slash McCoy). A very economical way to get started and you will know what "Shave Ready" feels like. I also have an Illinois strop. Pretty decent and in your price range. I'm sure I'll be getting another soon though.

I have bought 3 “shave ready” razors, 1 from Razor Emporium, 2 from eBay site “april17th1989”. The Razor Emporium gave me a rough shave that I was able to improve on immediately even though I had no prior razor honing experience. The 2 from the eBay site shaved great on arrival, in fact I have yet to re-hone either one after 3-5 shaves. In fairness, for the same amount of money the Razor Emporium purchase will be a razor restored to a higher level of appearance. But if you aren’t knowledgeable about honing I’d take the stains and great edge over the better finish.

I guess actually I bought from a few other razors labeled shave ready from eBay sellers, but not worth mentioning - with eBay sellers “shave ready” being true is more the exception than the rule.

I have test shaved with every new production razor edge I have purchased. A Dovo Carre and a Wacker (5/8 from a 7 day set) are the only two that met my shave ready standard. The Carre came recently from Royal Shave at a very competitive price. The Wacker came from The Superior Shave, but without any additional finish honing.

I would expect a good result from TSS finish honing. I also expect that Slash McCoy will deliver a very sharp razor that you will feel comfortable learning to maintain at little cost.

You should be able to maintain the edge with a pasted balsa strop progression.

I would get a shave-ready Dovo Bismarck from TSS, and here's why. I have now bought three new Dovos, two new TIs, two new Gold Dollars, one new Wacker, and numerous used razors on eBay in five months. You need to know what you are doing on eBay. Gold Dollars are great for the price, but they don't get me juiced. Based on my experience and what I have read, TI quality control is less than stellar. Wackers are terrific, but they are pricey. And the quality of all three of my Dovos is really good, and Jarrod at TSS knows what he is doing. Perhaps a little more than you want to spend, but a new Bismarck will serve you well and if well maintained should hold its value should you want to sell it.

There is an Australian manufacturer who shaves with a straight and used to do repairs and sharpen. His razor has been one of the few that really came as shave ready out of the box. He also makes strops.

I love a TI and think Dovo are great (don't have one) just need to find a retailer who sharpens them.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I can recommend the superior shave, crescent city razors, and maggards if you want to buy a truly shave ready razor. I've had good and bad experiences with shave ready razors from razor emporium so I'd suggest avoiding them for now.

Also I'd avoid buying a strop that costs more then $20 while you're starting out. You're most likely going to cut up for first one or two strops. So I'd recommend getting a cheap one from Amazon or ali express until you get your technique down. One you're comfortable then consider getting a nicer strop from Tony miller.

The Invisible Edge hones them up pretty well before they go out. He’s got a pretty good selection too. My vote goes to Ralf Aust as a first razor but there are lots of other options there too. You can also pick up a strop and diamond paste in the same order to save on shipping.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I would not necessarily recommend a 3" strop. My preference as a beginner would be for a 2 1/2" strop. @Tony Miller can supply either. Reasons are given here:
I am with you on that. I do not like 3” strops. I’ve been using a 70+ year old strip from NSW for about three years and it is a bit under 2 1/2” and wonderful but retired it last week. It is showing its age a bit and I want to keep it as is so I bought an Illinois to see if it would be serviceable. Will probably get a Tony Miller eventually but no hurry.

Top Bottom