What's new

Repurposing Items For Shaving

I repurposed this antique cast dental stand and tray. I purchased it at an auction, slapped two coats of paint on it (left it slightly rough as it's old) and voila! I typically lay out the next morning's shave the night before and then leave everything out to dry while I'm at work. So that I didn't take up space in my new cabinet doing this, I thought this old stand would be a cool option.
View attachment 888907 View attachment 888908
I am just amazed with this theread! Well done! :clap:

proxy.php

Skeletor razor holder. Wire coater hanger bent into brush holder. Glitter tube as arko stick holder.

Coors Light aluminum bottle, covered with blade wrappers. Slit was Dremeled into the cap

Attachments

• IMG_20181104_160205.jpg
    IMG_20181104_160205.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
Ive got a tea mug that I bought at a local Japanese store that I use to soak my brush and rewet it when needed. Its got a dragon hand painted on it and I felt like it would go perfectly with my Japanese razor and Chinese brush.

Not terribly original but this Blue Mountain Pottery coffee cup works well to presoak brushes

proxy.php

What is odd is how it was acquired. A trip to the cabin about this time last year I found the cup on the front porch. I have a couple of chairs and little table out front and there it was, residue of what looked/smelled like coffee but any liquid long since evaporated off. I checked the property, out buildings, etc for anything else left behind or signs of someone trying to B&E but nothing. I asked my neighbors if it was them and all said no.

Nu nr1 shaving bowl bought by Ali express. Check it, real good: a baby grinder bowl. Good size, unbreakable, ribbles, easy to clean.....2.50 Euro/dollar....you need only the bowl!

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-11-05-22-34-44.png
    Capture+_2018-11-05-22-34-44.png
    626.2 KB · Views: 36
One nice thing about using dinnerware or kitchenware for shaving bowls is that you have a much better chance of finding something that matches your bathroom decor (compared to purpose-made shaving gear).

Skeletor razor holder.
That got me looking for Cenobite (characters in "Hellraiser") figurines to turn into blade holders.
Something like Pinhead or Dischead here...
proxy.php

proxy.php

...but cut slots and install a magnet to hold blades.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm also looking out for nice unusual displays.
I saw someone get the old postal services po boxes like they put into stores in the late 1800's and use it for shaving gear. If you get a chance to go to old towns alot of the old general stores had them. And some still have them and are willing to sell them.

One nice thing about using dinnerware or kitchenware for shaving bowls is that you have a much better chance of finding something that matches your bathroom decor (compared to purpose-made shaving gear).

That got me looking for Cenobite (characters in "Hellraiser") figurines to turn into blade holders.
Something like Pinhead or Dischead here...
proxy.php

proxy.php

...but cut slots and install a magnet to hold blades.
Small pinhead figure drill out top of head and put in a shaving knot. Kind of like the minion brushes showing up now.....maybe one of the pop figures since the are short and chubby usually.

Thanks...wife gave me the idea.

This is a reuse of another container. These ingredients have all worked nicely in the past for strop care, so I am blending some jojoba, coconut oil, and cocoa butter and refilling my empty tube. I added only a couple/few crystals of vit c for preservative, as I didn’t want to drop the ph too much.
I popped the tube back open with a blast of compressed air and filled and re-sealed it. Having the cocoa butter with itks higher melt point, I may need to warm it before use. The coconut/pineapple essential oil in the fiji blend may eliminate that need, though.

02431E86-A290-423D-B249-DDEB094CB893.jpeg
B3BFACAF-DAE6-42C8-A070-73656D3D8ED1.jpeg

Top Bottom