What's new

Repurposing Items For Shaving

I use a scuttle at home to keep the lather warm for the duration of a shave. When I travel I use a collapsible dog-bowl. I can float in in a sink of hot water or place it over a coffee mug with hot water in it.

I picked this bad boy up at Goodwill for $2, it is a personal fondue mug, now it's a flame powered lather heater!
20180828_165704.jpg
20180828_165710.jpg

I found it can get pretty hot but I just drip a bit of water in it between passes and it regulates heat and keeps lather moist. It will do fine until I find a proper scuttle at one of the many goodwills I frequent. I love goodwill it's like an air conditioned yard sale.

Very cool. And it doesn't overheat the lather?

$9.99 EcoBambou® Kabuki synthetic makeup brush from my local drug store is now a shaving brush.
Handle is 300 mm diameter, 57 mm long. Solid bamboo and (I think) anodized aluminum ferrule.
Knot is 30 mm diameter, 41 mm loft.
proxy.php

Much finer fibres than usual for a shaving brush, but very dense.
It's a bit of a lather hog and feels like a marshmallow when full of lather.
I prefer using it for sticks and soft creams.
It remains to be seen how well it stands up to a lot of soap and water. So far nothing has fallen out.

The staff in that side of the store did not give me any odd looks as I was checking out the makeup brushes. It is a university town, after all.

$9.99 EcoBambou® Kabuki synthetic makeup brush from my local drug store is now a shaving brush.
Handle is 300 mm diameter, 57 mm long. Solid bamboo and (I think) anodized aluminum ferrule.
Knot is 30 mm diameter, 41 mm loft.
proxy.php

Much finer fibres than usual for a shaving brush, but very dense.
It's a bit of a lather hog and feels like a marshmallow when full of lather.
I prefer using it for sticks and soft creams.
It remains to be seen how well it stands up to a lot of soap and water. So far nothing has fallen out.

The staff in that side of the store did not give me any odd looks as I was checking out the makeup brushes. It is a university town, after all.

At the beginning of your post, I thought you were going to say you picked up the brush to use with talc. How does the brush work lathering? Is there any backbone to speak of?

How does the brush work lathering? Is there any backbone to speak of?
It has enough to charge with soap or cream and generate lather. Beyond that, I don't require much in the way of backbone, so I'm not a good judge.
The fine strands clump together more than most synths, with odd little gaps and holes, but they all tend to bend the same way instead of flaring out, hence the comparison to a jumbo marshmallow.
The short and wide shape of the knot doesn't allow for as much bending, so I guess it's kinda' like having backbone.

It also reminds me of a large oval sable hair mop/wash brush for watercolour painting.

A11623C5-C065-454A-95AD-583032605B19.jpeg
D129CD5F-D2B4-48FF-8CA0-20B9B00B9E6C.jpeg
Got this bad boy at Target for six bucks. Been wanting a soap dish to house a loose puck.

No idea why they wrote salt on the side. Its clearly meant for shaving soap.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I got surprise the other day when the wife asked if this would work for a shaving bowl and so this morning I gave the Japanese Ceramic Suribachi bowl a test use, it works OK. She got it at the local flee market for $1.00, she also got me a small electric fondo pot for hot lathering this winter, I have not gave that a test use yet.:a17:
Slant september RR 37 2018.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My stuff that doesn't live in the bathroom or travel washbag, now lives in this repurposed cutlery canteen in the bedroom.

IMG_20181101_212623_edit_edit_800_453.jpg

Assorted grooming items in the top, including the less commonly used razors, such as my straight and the vintage hollow ground stuff, and all the spare blades. It's not exclusively shaving stuff, and there's a couple of bits not in there at the moment.

IMG_20181101_211617_edit_800_600.jpg

The spare soaps and smellies (EdTs) live in the drawer below.

IMG_20181101_211820_edit_edit_800_531.jpg

Apologies for poor pics. My phone camera doesn't like artificial lighting, including its own flash.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My stuff that doesn't live in the bathroom or travel washbag, now lives in this repurposed cutlery canteen in the bedroom.

View attachment 924754

Assorted grooming items in the top, including the less commonly used razors, such as my straight and the vintage hollow ground stuff, and all the spare blades. It's not exclusively shaving stuff, and there's a couple of bits not in there at the moment.

View attachment 924755

View attachment 924756

Apologies for poor pics. My phone camera doesn't like artificial lighting, including its own flash.
Very smart.

I repurposed this antique cast dental stand and tray. I purchased it at an auction, slapped two coats of paint on it (left it slightly rough as it's old) and voila! I typically lay out the next morning's shave the night before and then leave everything out to dry while I'm at work. So that I didn't take up space in my new cabinet doing this, I thought this old stand would be a cool option.
View attachment 888907 View attachment 888908
That's just amazing. Would love to have something like that!

Small (not wide) deodorant sticks for shave sticks. A large dollar store bistro mug to keep all my stuff in. Also an emptied out can as a used blade container.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Very smart.

Thanks Farmer. I think i'll probably reorganise it soon, and get all the hardware in the top, and all the spare consumables in the drawer. That should free some space up top for a few more items such as travel grooming set, clothes brush, that kind of thing, plus make the drawer a little more cramped to minimise temptation to fill the space with unnecessary extras :D

View attachment 924754

View attachment 924755

View attachment 924756

Niiice - good thinking, fits razor stuff perfectly :punk:

Top Bottom