What's new

Repurposing Items For Shaving

I keep seeing (and passing by) a soup mug in the Salvation Army Thrift Store, identical to this one, for 99¢.
proxy.php

Doesn't it look like it's meant to park a brush or razor on the handle?
The odd thing is that the logo molded on the bottom is a simplified version of the logo for Vachon Inc. -
proxy.php

- a company noted for sweet pastry treats.

I might have to buy it just to put myself out of my misery.
(Even though I'll prefer my stainless steel bowl.)

From the last young thai coconut opened. A pint of coconut water, for rehydrating the body, and a bowl for hydrating some lather... this one has the option of a drain or not bu switching the hole plug for a grommet which allows excess water to drain off to the under tray which cannthen be poured off without losing lather. Soap can be cut scraped or scooped with the spoon.

C3625E9F-2BD3-4E32-BDCD-32C48769A73D.jpeg
3F983EF6-951B-4E45-A5EA-9CB94865B3DF.jpeg

From the last young thai coconut opened. A pint of coconut water, for rehydrating the body, and a bowl for hydrating some lather... this one has the option of a drain or not bu switching the hole plug for a grommet which allows excess water to drain off to the under tray which cannthen be poured off without losing lather. Soap can be cut scraped or scooped with the spoon.

View attachment 1011094 View attachment 1011095
Cool.

Another use for neck strips. While stropping, this ensures me a better grip. It can people with grip or proprioception issues related to neuropathy, or even stabilize the razor if there be a loose tang end pin.

65165602-CB7B-4876-B471-BF82424B8A5E.jpeg

Razor and brush stand made from coat hanger following an internet tutorial. Not pretty but works.
Pestle on the left used to soak boar and badger brushes; bowl on the right used for lathering.
IMG_20190927_045401.jpg
IMG_20190927_045411.jpg

In Europe STR8 aftershaves come in metal boxes with padding on them. Ideal for holding razors and blades securely. I even have them in different colors and can tell what razor is inside by looking at the box. They look cool. And the aftershaves are pretty good too, especially considering the price.
IMG_20190927_050356.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_045230.jpg
    IMG_20190927_045230.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Razor and brush stand made from coat hanger following an internet tutorial. Not pretty but works.
Pestle on the left used to soak boar and badger brushes; bowl on the right used for lathering.View attachment 1020363View attachment 1020364
In Europe STR8 aftershaves come in metal boxes with padding on them. Ideal for holding razors and blades securely. I even have them in different colors and can tell what razor is inside by looking at the box. They look cool. And the aftershaves are pretty good too, especially considering the price.View attachment 1020367

Great ideas. Those are really nice tins!

The blue and purple are silicone jar lid grippers/trivet/hot pads. I use one on our narrow sink edge to help keep things in place while shaving. The orange wash pad also makes for a great head latherer.

C1A583FE-7EDC-4589-BFDE-F324B8367EE7.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks guys!
Her Awesomeness got them in a 6 pack from Amazon. (Makes a good cat food dish as well.)
My cats already own me! I tell them all the time that I hate cats, but who do they constantly bother? Me. I'm their personal servant and chew toy.

AliExpress is also a good place to search for "Silicone trivet" to find ones in various shapes and colors. I recently got the one listed under item #32795927703 to function as a coffee loading point on the kitchen countertop, something to help collect loose coffee grinds when taking coffee out of the grinder. It is a little small (8.46 x 6 inches) for my coffee making needs so I am thinking of getting a larger one, but I think this size should work well in most bathrooms to rest a shave brush and razor during the shave.
proxy.php

Jumbo glue stick and deodorant stick containers for "Stickified" Williams Mug soap.

Prescription bottle + red PVC tape = blade bank (not child-proof though)

Bunnykins coin bank = new blade bank
Dungeons & Dragons D12 die = blade use counter (Later I used the D20, then the pair of Percentile dice which go up to 100.)

75 ml spray bottle (drug store, or Michaels) and label peeled off of original bottle, protected by wide packing tape. I keep four different such bottles with different types AS. I find it easier to control how much I can put on my hand, but I also spray some directly onto my neck.

Vintage 12-sided rubber stamp rack/carousel for brushes.
Since this photo was taken I've been storing most razors in the middle. Long handled razors (like the Fendrihan in front) still have to go on the outside. Also I've added polyurethane tubing covers to the spring clamps, so as not to scratch the held object.
View attachment 885364
It was mint in box, from an army surplus store, for something like Cad$8.00.

Some B&B member made a really nice razor and brush holder by bending up a chromed rod paper towel holder. Anybody recall that one?

I am going to steal this idea for a brush holder. It is such a great idea.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Not sure this is a good way for storing natural hair brushes, but these are synthetic and they should be all right IMO.
I have 11 synthetic brushes now for rotation and have been using bowls for storing them prior and they are jammed in there so I was mentioning to my wife I need a spice rack or something like that. Wah-la $2.00 rack & even with glass spice shakers at the local thrift shop.
Repurpose spice rack for Syn brushes..jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Oh, I must be a little frugal today and inventive also. Got this idea from @sugardaddy on Youtube with the spice bottle for travelling and protecting your brush.
My own desire to to invent stuff from products I throw out regular and just trying to do my small bit to help to repurpose. I know some folks are on tight budgets and being a little frugal is the way a lot of us started into wet shaving. I have the resources to buy a fancy rack but it is not my DNA it seems today and more than likely never will be,(years of living have made me thrifty I'm thinking!) If you have a 3D printer making stuff could be endless.
I bought a boar brush lately and they want more for a cheap acrylic stand than the Cheap brush & the MFG claims boar brush bristles should be pointed downward to let gravity drain possible moisture and in open air also.(I mostly have synthetic brushes and they dry quickly with no issues, natural animal hair should be left in the open air & not in enclosed medicine cabinets while drying.)
Had a little fun last night and made this crude brush stand.(Temporary?? :lol: )
Repurposed plastic.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

I keep seeing (and passing by) a soup mug in the Salvation Army Thrift Store, identical to this one, for 99¢.
proxy.php

Doesn't it look like it's meant to park a brush or razor on the handle?
The odd thing is that the logo molded on the bottom is a simplified version of the logo for Vachon Inc. -
proxy.php

- a company noted for sweet pastry treats.

I might have to buy it just to put myself out of my misery.
(Even though I'll prefer my stainless steel bowl.)
Your post encouraged me to search the interwebs and I found the bowl. Now I'm wondering if maybe its design was the inspiration for the lather bowls with the brush rest.

I like to bring as many of my favorite shave gears whenever possible during any work assignment either for the short or long term...In this case, I was scheduled to be away for a month and I dread missing all my fav razors...so I turn this used box into a fancy multiple-razors carry...
20210123_180602.jpg
20210123_180820.jpg

View attachment 885221
Toothbrush rack, next to the sink, from the river place. After a few days, all four holes are filled. When a blade is shot, the razor goes back on display and a different one is loaded up.
I've got 2 of the same for 5 or 6 years now. $7ea on Amazon for them.
Just tonight I saw Parker is selling them in black, called razor stands, for $25ea. I enjoy being ahead of the curve ;).

Top Bottom