What's new

Repurposing Items For Shaving

There have been a number of "look what I found and can use for" threads so I thought it was a good idea to have a conversation about this in one place.

SO......

What have you found that you've repurposed in your shave den?

I have a wonderful plastic mug, probably made for soup, that holds my Cade puck. And there is the delightful little piggy bank which accepts used blades.

IMG_2825_DxO.jpg

Toothbrush rack, next to the sink, from the river place. After a few days, all four holes are filled. When a blade is shot, the razor goes back on display and a different one is loaded up.

Had a Montblanc wallet that after a decade of faithful service was falling apart. While the wallet was toast and not worth saving I thought keeping the snowcap logo was a good idea.

The 2040 which turned out not to be a 2040...once the refund had been processed I attempted to return it. A month after me dropping it in the mailbox it was back on my doorstep with a note on the outbound label saying "Refused by receiving postal authority". I contacted the seller, asking what they'd like done with it. Never did get an answer so guess it was mine to do with as I liked.

So, a small hole to accept the metal stud on the back of the snowcap, a tiny drop of crazy glue turned into the semontblanc frankenbrush

proxy.php

I've always used an ice cream sample spoon (from Ben & Jerry's) to take out soaps and creams.

It's about 1/8 tsp

proxy.php

There have been a number of "look what I found and can use for" threads so I thought it was a good idea to have a conversation about this in one place.

SO......

What have you found that you've repurposed in your shave den?

I bought a wooden test tube holder. I cut off the pegs and spray painted with chalk paint. Works great for making sure TTT drain well and looks nice to boot.

Jumbo glue stick and deodorant stick containers for "Stickified" Williams Mug soap.

Prescription bottle + red PVC tape = blade bank (not child-proof though)

Bunnykins coin bank = new blade bank
Dungeons & Dragons D12 die = blade use counter (Later I used the D20, then the pair of Percentile dice which go up to 100.)

75 ml spray bottle (drug store, or Michaels) and label peeled off of original bottle, protected by wide packing tape. I keep four different such bottles with different types AS. I find it easier to control how much I can put on my hand, but I also spray some directly onto my neck.

Vintage 12-sided rubber stamp rack/carousel for brushes.
Since this photo was taken I've been storing most razors in the middle. Long handled razors (like the Fendrihan in front) still have to go on the outside. Also I've added polyurethane tubing covers to the spring clamps, so as not to scratch the held object.
rubber stamp rack_6268.jpg

It was mint in box, from an army surplus store, for something like Cad$8.00.

Some B&B member made a really nice razor and brush holder by bending up a chromed rod paper towel holder. Anybody recall that one?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Jumbo glue stick and deodorant stick containers for "Stickified" Williams Mug soap.

Prescription bottle + red PVC tape = blade bank (not child-proof though)

Bunnykins coin bank = new blade bank
Dungeons & Dragons D12 die = blade use counter (Later I used the D20, then the pair of Percentile dice which go up to 100.)

75 ml spray bottle (drug store, or Michaels) and label peeled off of original bottle, protected by wide packing tape. I keep four different such bottles with different types AS. I find it easier to control how much I can put on my hand, but I also spray some directly onto my neck.

Vintage 12-sided rubber stamp rack/carousel for brushes.
Since this photo was taken I've been storing most razors in the middle. Long handled razors (like the Fendrihan in front) still have to go on the outside. Also I've added polyurethane tubing covers to the spring clamps, so as not to scratch the held object.
View attachment 885364
It was mint in box, from an army surplus store, for something like Cad$8.00.

Some B&B member made a really nice razor and brush holder by bending up a chromed rod paper towel holder. Anybody recall that one?
I do recall it, but forget the mad scientist that made it....

Thanks for the Jumbo Glue Stick idea. :thumbsup: I have some "normal" sized plastic tubes intended for making a shave stick and have reused deodorant containers but have always found them slightly oversized when the goal is building a minimalist dopp kit for travel. The glue stick container looks like the ideal size for a few weeks or maybe even a month worth of shaves.

Top Bottom