What's new

Repour Wine Preserver Stoppers

I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you as anti-environment by using Repour.
Heck no! I would not take it personally even if I thought you were! Very kind of you to be concerned, though. No worries at all.

I'm most interested in this issue because I'm increasingly finding myself only wanting a small amount to drink but don't want to deprive myself of nicer wines (or vermouth) because I'll only have a glass now and then.
I think this product may help then. I guess that sort of sums up m thinking, too. I want to be able to get a glass of wine from a bottle or the amount of vermouth I need for a mixed drink without worrying about what to do with the rest of the bottle at all. Wine is sort of unique this way, eh? I mean if I want some mayonnaise on a sandwich I do not have to consider that if I open the jar I will have to use up the rest of the contents with a few days.

The Corovin is an amazing system for serious wine collectors. There are also multi bottle systems that you load up and basically have an adult drink dispenser without having to commit to one bottle at a time. On the more affordable side, many collectors, who have whole cases of a specific wine, will sample a bottle through the cork on a schedule to track it's maturity and try to catch it at it's peek. I personally have drank some of the most sought after bottles from other's generosity and the majority of them were at least a decade over the hill and they weren't exactly going to bin them. That gets into a dirty secret of high end wine collecting where bottles are passed along and not drank. That 84 Stags Leap magnum was so far past it's prime that I couldn't even gag it down, no tannins left to speak of. Sorry for the side track.

The Corovin is an amazing system for serious wine collectors. There are also multi bottle systems that you load up and basically have an adult drink dispenser without having to commit to one bottle at a time. On the more affordable side, many collectors, who have whole cases of a specific wine, will sample a bottle through the cork on a schedule to track it's maturity and try to catch it at it's peek. I personally have drank some of the most sought after bottles from other's generosity and the majority of them were at least a decade over the hill and they weren't exactly going to bin them. That gets into a dirty secret of high end wine collecting where bottles are passed along and not drank. That 84 Stags Leap magnum was so far past it's prime that I couldn't even gag it down, no tannins left to speak of. Sorry for the side track.
A good read that offers a peek into the high end wine collecting world is The Billionaire's Vinegar. It's an easy and entertaining read.

I usually drink wines only on the weekend and with dinner. We have an "uncle" who comes for dinner and we share a bottle (from the wine of the month club my wife got me for Xmas year before last), which usually amounts to 2 glasses each. There have been rare occasions when we just didn't want that second glass, so I'll recork it and set it aside and drink it during the week with dinner or otherwise (sacre bleu I'll even drop an ice cube in a red wine! and worse still, I'll drink it out of a coffee mug!!) I don't think I've ever noticed it having gone south. If it had, I certainly wouldn't have qualms about dumping the contents, afterall the wines I get rarely exceed ~$30. On the few times I've forgotten about a bottle and it has gone far longer than a few days, I've found that it seems to take on a flavor characteristic quite like Port. I've found that very charming, actually.

To each his own though, which is a good thing. As I remember, this subject was a big part of why boxed wines became so popular about 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I am really not much of a collector, but I sure admit that I have let some nice wines go bad because they seemed too nice to drink. And aging scares me. I would not have thought my set up for aging wines was all that bad, but I ended up pouring a fair number of bottle of '82 Bordeauxs I bought on futures and held onto done the sink because I waited too long. I do not think the suggestions for the number of years they should be aged indicated they should be close to gone! I remember I had a bottle of '75 (maybe it was '77, whatever the better year was) vintage Port that should have been able to age for a very long time indeed and really should have been about its prime. It was pretty much undrinkable. It had thinned completely out. Very little character l left. On the other hand, I had some '77 (I think, maybe '76) that was drinking very well when I bought it back in the day that I opened about a year ago and it was still fine. There is no way that wine should have had enough tannin to carry it that long!

So, I do not intentionally age anything these days!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
By the way, an inexpensive way to preserve open wine is to put it into a smaller bottle that fills up very close to bottom of the cork. But that seems like a whole lot of hassle, including have the right sized bottles around and labeling. Also, I assume that a wine that has been opened and exposed to the air gets O2 into the wine itself. I suppose that is true for lots of these systems.

That's my usual method. Half a bottle tonight and half a bottle tomorrow.

I keep a couple empty half-bottles around for this very purpose ... seems to work well enough. Were I to want to keep the wine for much longer, I'd look at the argon preserver.
I am trying to figure out whether we drink more or less wine than others.

Pretty much one bottle of wine per weekend, and a couple drams of scotch &c if I am feeling extravagant. Nothing during the week. Sometimes I split the bottle between Saturday and Sunday dinners, and sometimes draw it out over one day from lunch to dinner ... "depending".

SWMBO doesn't drink wine so ... I have to take care of the whole bottle myself. Don't all console me at once.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's an interesting idea for something like vermouth, but I don't see us using it for wine. Like others, we rarely have wine leftover. When we do, we just pop the cork back in and stick it in the fridge. It's gone the next day.

Wouldn't you need to use a new stopper every time you went for the vermouth, though?

Wouldn't you need to use a new stopper every time you went for the vermouth, though?
I haven't been. Good question. The mechanism seems a little unclear. They seem to say to use a new stopper with every bottle of wine, but I am not sure how that relates to removing a certain amount of O2. Suggests that the stoppers could be reused across bottles.

Top Bottom