What's new

Report on NYC shopping trip

I was in Manhattan over Thanksgiving and managed to escape SWMBO for a few hours.

I visited Pasteur's where I found almost complete lines of Cyril Salter, TOBS, Truefitt and Hill, Coates, Trumpers, Musgo. I even saw a few tubes of Ingram shave cream. They only carried Proraso shave cream. No other Proraso products. Great prices! The place is jam-packed with goodies. I picked up a tub of Cyril Salter Sandalwood cream ($17.95) plus a tube of Proraso ($9.95)

Next was Cambridge Chemists. They have slightly fewer shaving creams and soaps but a very wide array of EDTs: Czech and Speake, Knize 10, Trumpers, Truefitt and Hill, 4711, Roger & Gallet No Floris though. No Proraso either. They gave me a ten percent discount for being a member of B&B. I bought a bottle of Musgo After Shave Balsam ($20.00)

Next was Penhaligon's on Madison. What a great little shop. There were two salesfolk there...Marianna and a young man whose name escapes me. They were both extremely helpful. I ended up getting Lavandula as a Christmas present for my wife. I bought Douro for myself, but ended up exchanging it for Opus 1870 the following day. The Douro smelled great in the store but wore badly on my skin...it reminded me of bathroom air freshener :thumbdown . The Opus was not so great in the store but dried down beautifully on me. I learned, yet again, never to underestimate the whole skin chemistry thing.

BTW, this forum came up in conversation at Penhaligon's. We were talking about LP#9 and they told me the story about a man from "this shaving forum Badger and Blade" who called and ordered 15 bottles of LP#9 so that he could make decants! Really depleted their stock of this discontinued scent!

What a shame they discontinued it...it really is an amazing scent, IMO.

Anyway, those were my shaving adventures in the Big Apple.

Jim

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
You say they had Coates at Pasteurs? I was there yesterday and didnt see anything. WHat location were you at ....and what Coates did you see.

Lex and 62nd.

I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of shaving creams. I may be wrong though....my head was spinning after a while.

Jim

Top Bottom