What's new

Report: A third and final try at Clubman

So, friends, not long ago I lost my father. He'd lived a very long and very full life. In his final weeks he knew his time had come and, while he wasn't thrilled about it, the pragmatist and old military vet in him accepted it like the man he was. His passing was peaceful, dignified and without apparent pain. I miss the old boy, but I'm left with fond memories of a good life, lived well and with honor.

I spent most of his last few days with him, almost all of which he spent unconscious. At one point, needing a break, I darted out for a quick visit to the nearby gym to clear my head. Being without my usual gym stuff, I made a quick stop at a Walgreens for a few things.

And there on the shelf, as usual, was Clubman.

I looked at it. I'd bought it twice before and found it absolutely, totally wasn't for me. Too strong, too lingering, too cloying. Just too much overall.

But, for some reason I thought -- why not give it one more try? It's not that my dad ever used it. He was an Old Spice guy first (my Mom always credited it for getting her to agree to his first ask for a dance). And then, for most of my life, he was a Lectric Shave guy. But there was something about the circumstance that prompted me to do one final trial.

I used it that day and most days since. And you know what? It's just fine. It's good. I don't know that it will ever be a top-tier favorite for me, but I do like having it around and I think I usually will. Even the wife likes it. I like the idea of having my opinion changed after some years of doing this. And, in a funny way, I think using it will remind me of my dad.

So there you go. A longtime Clubman avoider changes his tune. Could the Veg be next? Um ... I think we'll move slowly here. : )

-- Gazzer

So sorry for your loss.

Glad you found the beauty of clubman. I like all the Pinaud offerings to some extent.

Best Wishes

Sorry for your loss. I wasn't real big on Clubman at first either, now I think it's just OK. Tried Clubman Musk for the first time the other night and the uh "muskiness" of it really helps offset the cloying powdery Clubman base scent I thought.

Lost my dad almost one year ago exactly, my condolences and it's great you were able to spend so much time with him in his final days.

As far as Clubman ... It's classic. Can be a little overpowering at times, so I don't use it often, but when I do, I feel like a million damn dollars, which is amazing given the cost. Check out Clubman Vanilla too ... love that scent

Top Bottom