What's new

Replica of Old type?

During the Christmas, I have been seriously considering to get an Old type because of the very shallow angle. I think no other razor has the same shallow angle. However, I have noticed they appear on BST very seldom and being in Europe, it is quite difficult to get them. Is there any other razor with the same shallow angle and the same blade exposure? What should I look for if I want the same shave as an Old type would give?

Some Gillette Goodwills are retooled Old Type heads. I have a Goodwill with the pierced top cap, which I assume shaves like an Old Type as it has the same head except they added corner tabs to the cap and pierced the cap so 2 studs show through (and look really cool in my humble opinion!).

I know that there are a lot of clones for the OT. Many come from Europe, I actually own a German clone that is identical to my OT. Sorry I don't have any names for you ( mine just says "Made in Germany")

Your Merkur 15c is a knock off of the Gillette Old Type. I have 'em both and they shave and look similarly. The top cap on the Merkur 15 is SLIGHTLY thicker, but the razors handle similarly in my experience.

Your Merkur 15c is a knock off of the Gillette Old Type. I have 'em both and they shave and look similarly. The top cap on the Merkur 15 is SLIGHTLY thicker, but the razors handle similarly in my experience.
15C is having far less blade exposure and slightly more steep angle. They are not that similar even thou they look similar. This is why I would want to test the original. While I'm happy with 15C, sometimes I would want a closer shave than what 15C gives. I think I will post at BST once I get a chance to post there again in case I would have luck.

Top Bottom