What's new

Replating my Gillette New Short Comb advice

Hey guys wanted to know is there anyone you know that can replate my New SC while maintaining the same finish? By that I mean the same color with the brass cap,golden baseplate and brass handle with the top gold? I really love this razor and would love to see it with a new coat of paint. I had asked the fellas at Razor Emporium and they said it can't be done so now I don't really know who to go to. Thanks again for any advise.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210910-162444_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210910-162444_Photos.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 42

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Hey guys wanted to know is there anyone you know that can replate my New SC while maintaining the same finish? By that I mean the same color with the brass cap,golden baseplate and brass handle with the top gold? I really love this razor and would love to see it with a new coat of paint. I had asked the fellas at Razor Emporium and they said it can't be done so now I don't really know who to go to. Thanks again for any advise.
I agree with Jonathan — polish it till all the gold wash is gone — you’ll achieve this look …
image.jpg

It looks great to me as it is. With some at home polishing it can lose some patina and get a smoother shine, while keeping the bright brass and red brass tones, per LMcC's post.

That said, I have a rhodium re-plated New SC and a gold re-plated Goodwill (Back Roads Gold) that I enjoy quite a bit. There may be some remaining gold wash at the top of the handle and on the baseplate. Those are low wear areas. So there will probably be a little change in tone in certain areas from a good polishing. But... shiny!

R

romsitsa

Cap, handle rose gold, neck and base plate green gold, these will be as close in colour to copper and brass as possible.
Removing the neck from the handle will take some patience.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I just polished my New SC.
The neck of the handle that lost the thread was replaced, and the weight was added to the handle as an opportunity.

These are easy to do on your own.
165553228_3914699631902244_1625605481089643297_n.jpg

Or you can seek the services of a jeweler, and I remember that someone in B&B has tried it.

Do you like the shaves? If so, relax. It's only how you perceive the razor that makes a difference. If you dont like it consider a completely new look. If that makes it a better razor (in your eyes).

If you are happy with how the razor looks now do as KeenDogg suggested. Wax it. That should keep it looking that way for a while.
If you are like 99% of the other visitors on this web site you will change your razor, plate it, or get another, or more than one.
What matters is how you feel. Like they say YMMV.
And how it shaves.😏

R

romsitsa

Forgot the most important part, to remove the neck place a knife on the joint and roll the handle back and forth while adding some pressure with the knife, till a thin line apears. Now change the knife to a thicker piece of brass and repeat rolling, until you can pull out the neck.

Top Bottom