What's new

Replating gold razors?

Hi gents. I have a couple of gold razors on which the finish is basically shot. One was bought that way, the other over zealously cleaned by someone other than me. I also have a couple of the silver/chrome/nickel/whatever they are DE's that would look much better with new plating. Is this a possibility? Who would do this kind of work? I don't need precious metals plating. Faux gold or silver would be fine. Just a though. Some of these old razors would look quite nice in the display case with a new plating.

Regards, Todd

You would need to disassemble the razors, clean them up, and then replate. Most platers charge a minimum lot charge. It may be worth it if you had a LOT of razors to replate. But probably too much for a single razor. The platers I've worked with all charge around a $250 minimum.

letterk said:
But probably too much for a single razor. The platers I've worked with all charge around a $250 minimum.

How is the price determined? How many razors will they do for the $250?

The price is usually determined by a setup cost. I think you could fit a LOT of razors in their standard plating vats.

The other problem is Gillette never intended their razor to be taken apart. They're constructed with crimp on fasteners and flanlged fittings that made disassembly difficult and reassembly even harder.

Not to dredge up history here on a very old thread, but it seems more and more folks have taken to replating these days.

Is this still cost prohibitive?

I see quite a lot of replates in rhodium and nickel, but very few in gold (though there are a batch on the Razor Emporium)

Not to dredge up history here on a very old thread, but it seems more and more folks have taken to replating these days.

Is this still cost prohibitive?

I see quite a lot of replates in rhodium and nickel, but very few in gold (though there are a batch on the Razor Emporium)

There are tons of other threads on this, and most of them seem to put the cost between $30 and $85. I think RE lists prices for Gold and Rhodium as well as Nickel, chrome and silver. Reliable apparently will do Rhodium for as little as $65, I think gold tends to cost about the same as rhodium. Nickel is the most economical.

I plate and replate lots of stuff - I've done watch cases, gold plated s/s watch buckles to match rose gold watch cases where you can't get rose gold buckles etc etc.

It's not hard or costly and you can do this with a pen plating kit as they are known.

Google "gold plating pen".

I plate and replate lots of stuff - I've done watch cases, gold plated s/s watch buckles to match rose gold watch cases where you can't get rose gold buckles etc etc.

It's not hard or costly and you can do this with a pen plating kit as they are known.

Google "gold plating pen".

But this isn't the same thing as what Letterk was talking about, which is electroplating - which is more durable than the replating pens. Also, I've seen very mixed results with the plating pens - can look like someone brushed nail polish on the surface.

Contact Dave Glynn at SafetyRazors.co.uk. They do reasonable replating and you don't have to disassemble anything. His name on B&B is onotoman I believe. He s/b in the Vendors section

You would need to disassemble the razors, clean them up, and then replate. Most platers charge a minimum lot charge. It may be worth it if you had a LOT of razors to replate. But probably too much for a single razor. The platers I've worked with all charge around a $250 minimum.

can the also do chrome plating ? whould like to have a couple of razors done

Anyone thought about replating new razors? I've a hankering for a nickel plated EJ DE87, I think it would look great with the faux ivory.

Last edited:
But this isn't the same thing as what Letterk was talking about, which is electroplating - which is more durable than the replating pens. Also, I've seen very mixed results with the plating pens - can look like someone brushed nail polish on the surface.

Nope this is electroplating properly. Using the right tools , solutions and electrical equipment. The 'pen' option suits smaller items and has batteries built in. For bigger stuff, we use a power supply.

It's not any sort of 'paint'. You can get a 2 micron cover easily.

Top Bottom