What's new

Replating an Aristocrat Junior?

It seems Aristocrat Juniors (#48/#53) in excellent condition may easily sell for nearly $100 nowadays even without boxes.

As I'm not a collector but a newbie shaver looking for that first-class Gillette experience :)001_smile), I've been thinking of trying to find a cosmetically flawed but mechanically sound AJ and have it replated. I reckon it would cost me much less but I would get a pristine-looking specimen for my shaving pleasure for years to come.

How does this plan sound to you - plain stupid or worth it? :blink:

:thumbup1:Sounds like a plan, go for it. I plan on getting an AJ replated. It has a slight case of lazy door, one of the hinges is slightly bent enough to give me the lazy door. I hope the guy I get to replate it will tap it back to normal.

Here's a freshly replated president.The one in the front.Rhodium.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

I have a cosmetically challenged AJ I was going to re-plate, just didn't get around to it yet. Here is a reply from onotoman (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/member.php?u=8180) regarding the cost. Don't know where you live but postage back to US would probably be less.

"The cost to strip old nickel, polish and replate in bright nickel is £15 plus around £7 postage to you in Oz"

ghostknife said:
Don't know where you live but postage back to US would probably be less.

"The cost to strip old nickel, polish and replate in bright nickel is £15 plus around £7 postage to you in Oz"

We're both in the EU so postage should be less, I think.

I just placed a WTB in the B&B shaving mall. I'm also looking at one on eBay - the starting price is ~$20 and no doubt it will soar from there so I'd rather find it here.

I have a cosmetically challenged AJ I was going to re-plate, just didn't get around to it yet. Here is a reply from onotoman (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/member.php?u=8180) regarding the cost. Don't know where you live but postage back to US would probably be less.

Onotoman just replated a very functional but quite ugly '30s Aristocrat for me. This *was* my favorite daily shaver, but now it looks so nice I a don't want to spoil it.

Seriously, Dave does wonderful work (see pics, which don't do his work justice).

It seems Aristocrat Juniors (#48/#53) in excellent condition may easily sell for nearly $100 nowadays even without boxes.

As I'm not a collector but a newbie shaver looking for that first-class Gillette experience :)001_smile), I've been thinking of trying to find a cosmetically flawed but mechanically sound AJ and have it replated. I reckon it would cost me much less but I would get a pristine-looking specimen for my shaving pleasure for years to come.

How does this plan sound to you - plain stupid or worth it? :blink:

I guess it's worth it. Btw I was wondering if there is a list for Gillitte model numbers (#48/#53 and so on)

Top Bottom