What's new

Replacing Sump Pump Today

This was not a very fun project. At least I got to it before another heavy rain and basement flooding.

The previous owners had some kind of pint sized battery backed pump which wasn't working any longer. It didn't sit on the bottom of the pit once I got the new sump pump installed... so I had to go back to the store and buy PVC pipe, get home, cut it, prime it, cement it, then go back to the store for another fitting.

Gotta love home ownership! Always something to fix. At least it wasn't the toilet again. :laugh:

Congrats on getting it done before the next rainfall.

One of the best things I did was to add a union to the sump pump piping. When it comes time to replace it just undo the union, move the pipe to the new pump and re-join the union.

Also- a water powered pump is a great backup if you have city water.

Good job doing it yourself. I almost always call someone in for plumbing other than the simple stuff. I could use a battery backup for my sump pump, but it's not a job I'm willing to tackle. A sump pump swap alone I could manage because a check valve on the line means I'd only be dealing with a short section of pipe coming out of the pump and I wouldn't have to cement it to another pipe. The previous owner of the house used flagstones to bring the pit floor up to the pump.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One of the best things I did was to add a union to the sump pump piping. When it comes time to replace it just undo the union, move the pipe to the new pump and re-join the union.

Always a good move- so much easier for the next time around.

Congrats on getting it done before the next rainfall.

Also- a water powered pump is a great backup if you have city water.

Good call on the union. Instead, I took apart the check valve to disconnect the pipes. Unfortunately, the check valve is dripping a little bit ever since I re-tightened it. May go back to the store for a new check valve & a 1 1/2" union too.

I should also put the check valve closer to the pump and directly over the pit so I won't have to keep a piece of tupperware under the check valve if it does drip a little bit. Not sure why the previous owners had put the check valve so high up and right next to the wall.

I have city water, so I will have to look into the water powered pump. I feel like the battery backed ones I found at the store were pretty shoddy, and I couldn't buy parts for this 'watchdog' one the previous owners had installed.

Top Bottom