What's new

Replacing scales

I'm wondering what it costs to replace the factory plastic scales with something *slightly* nicer, firmer. It's not an actual restoration, so perhaps this isn't the right forum. Yes, I am sure prices can range from low to sky high. I'm asking about the low end, just something better than the factory plastic. A rough estimate, a general idea, "in the ballpark of" is just fine. I am guessing there are people here who have either had scales replaced or who actually do the work and know the cost. Thank you for your kind replies.

Custom made scales are usually around $100 dollars. You can get premade scales on many sites and put them on your self or have someone do it for a nominal fee.

The sky is the limit

I have bought broken razors on the bay just to reuse the scales. Sometimes you can get them really cheap and save a few bucks and you get to learn how to re-pin. You just have to make sure that there is no visible cell rot on the old blade before you pull the trigger on one

Larry

I have bought broken razors on the bay just to reuse the scales. Sometimes you can get them really cheap and save a few bucks and you get to learn how to re-pin. You just have to make sure that there is no visible cell rot on the old blade before you pull the trigger on one

Larry
Good idea. What's cell rot? Pardon my ignorance. I'm brand spankin' new to straight razors.

Good idea. What's cell rot? Pardon my ignorance. I'm brand spankin' new to straight razors.

You can do a search here for it for pictures and stories of "cell rot", but basically its when the celluloid scales become unstable aka break down, and gives off an acetic acid gas that eats the metal of the razor. Every celluloid scales are made with cellulose acetate and there is always a chance of it breaking down. What is even more detrimental is that it can spread and cause other scales to break down and gas off and the rot can spread to other razors in your collection. Make sure what ever your looking at has no traces of rust or a rotted blade that has a line that matches where it was closed into the scales. "Devils spit" is ok, that's what the black marks that cant be polished out are called. The colors that break down the most are green, yellow, yellow/brown, and the cracked ice aka pearlized scales. I have a few of the pearlized scales and one yellow brown but I keep them in a closet and away from the heat of the bathroom and keep an eye on them from time to time. I did have one go bad on me and found it right away as it started to eat my blade away, I discarded them, saved the blade, and repined it in bone...problem solved. The scales I tend to look for as replacements tend to be natural material, that way you know its safe and no worries of cell rot or the most stable celluloid ones which are black celluloid or Bakelite scales.

If you have any doubts, always ask here first and I'm sure some board member will write back and give their honest and professional opinon.

Here is a link to cell rot from other members:

Larry

Last edited:
You can do a search here for it for pictures and stories of "cell rot", but basically its when the celluloid scales become unstable aka break down, and gives off an acetic acid gas that eats the metal of the razor. Every celluloid scales are made with cellulose acetate and there is always a chance of it breaking down. What is even more detrimental is that it can spread and cause other scales to break down and gas off and the rot can spread to other razors in your collection. Make sure what ever your looking at has no traces of rust or a rotted blade that has a line that matches where it was closed into the scales. "Devils spit" is ok, that's what the black marks that cant be polished out are called. The colors that break down the most are green, yellow, yellow/brown, and the cracked ice aka pearlized scales. I have a few of the pearlized scales and one yellow brown but I keep them in a closet and away from the heat of the bathroom and keep an eye on them from time to time. I did have one go bad on me and found it right away as it started to eat my blade away, I discarded them, saved the blade, and repined it in bone...problem solved. The scales I tend to look for as replacements tend to be natural material, that way you know its safe and no worries of cell rot or the most stable celluloid ones which are black celluloid or Bakelite scales.

If you have any doubts, always ask here first and I'm sure some board member will write back and give their honest and professional opinon.

Here is a link to cell rot from other members:

Larry
Excellent. Thank you very much.

I don’t know if you have basic workshop tools, but if you do getting into pinning is not expensive. Enough hardware to pin 10+ razors costs about $10. A cheap 2-4oz ball peen hammer, and to make life easier very fine needle nose pliers. $25 bucks if you tool shop at harbor freight.

The only caveat is you will need a very firm steel surface to pin. A small anvil or something. I have a bench vise with a small anvil combined in the tail of it. It works well.

I don’t know if you have basic workshop tools, but if you do getting into pinning is not expensive. Enough hardware to pin 10+ razors costs about $10. A cheap 2-4oz ball peen hammer, and to make life easier very fine needle nose pliers. $25 bucks if you tool shop at harbor freight.

The only caveat is you will need a very firm steel surface to pin. A small anvil or something. I have a bench vise with a small anvil combined in the tail of it. It works well.
Awesome. Thank you.

Here is a nice thread showing what can be done with the basics.

Broken razors with ivory or horn scales most often times go very cheap, cheaper than replacement scales.
Always a good idea to look out for them! Beats any plastic types scales as well, imo.

Top Bottom