What's new

Replacing my Merkur Futur with a stainless steel razor

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
DFS and atgshaving
Well I guess that pretty much covers "everyone" . I still haven't even read more than two people talking about prototypes or still waiting for their order. I would wait awhile before saying "Most people, if not everyone". Cheers 😂

Well I guess that pretty much covers "everyone" . I still haven't even read more than two people talking about prototypes or still waiting for their order. I would wait awhile before saying "Most people, if not everyone". Cheers 😂
I thought it was obvious that by "everyone" I meant from those who have used both razors. I guess it wasn't obvious enough.
A small sample pool, yes, but it sounds very promising.
What's so funny?

I think depending on your budget Rocnel Sailor, Homelike Taiga, Rex Ambassador all modern SS adjustables that can match or surpass the future. Non adjustable it’s a wide open market of Timeless, Charcoal Goods, Blackland, Yates Precision, ATT and of course Wolfman

Brother Henkel,

Before you replace your Merkur Futur with a different razor, you might try using the Futur for a week, using a "low" setting of only 1.5 or 2, instead of your present aggressive setting of 4 or 5. The Futur is a very aggressive razor. I have very tough whiskers, and a low setting of 1.5 on the Merkur Futur is shaving bliss for me. I have about 50 DE razors and nothing shaves me better than my Futur at a 1.5 setting.

Also, I get the best results when slightly riding the cap of the razor. Translation: Experiment with raising the handle a bit. Search for the "sweet spot" of best angle.

The Merkur Futur is an outstanding razor. Attempting to replace it with "a better razor" would be a challenge, if not impossible, and it probably would be an exercise in futility.

Let us know how it goes. Best wishes.

Brother Henkel,

Before you replace your Merkur Futur with a different razor, you might try using the Futur for a week, using a "low" setting of only 1.5 or 2, instead of your present aggressive setting of 4 or 5. The Futur is a very aggressive razor. I have very tough whiskers, and a low setting of 1.5 on the Merkur Futur is shaving bliss for me. I have about 50 DE razors and nothing shaves me better than my Futur at a 1.5 setting.

Also, I get the best results when slightly riding the cap of the razor. Translation: Experiment with raising the handle a bit. Search for the "sweet spot" of best angle.

The Merkur Futur is an outstanding razor. Attempting to replace it with "a better razor" would be a challenge, if not impossible, and it probably would be an exercise in futility.

Let us know how it goes. Best wishes.
I share this comment. But if you just want to buy something else for the sake of trying out a different tool....there are plenty of good ones, different brands, prices and performance.....once you fall in in the hole....you will go down spinning....

Just updating my thread to say that I have decided to sell off my Futur, and have bought an ATT Atlas M1, second hand. I got a good deal on this and figured I could always but a more aggressive bottom plate. So far, the M1 suits me very well as a daily shaver and I am learning the ways of this razor (my only DE!). It's a beautiful handle with a great balance and feel, and it might be all I ever need...

Thanks for all your recommendations!

I started out with a Futur and would recommend an adjustable to anyone starting out. Once I got the hang of it, I found I was getting the best results on settings 1 and 2, I parked the Futur and got some dedicated mild razors. The Futur has since been sold and I now run a Feather AS-D2 and a Timeless Polished SS 0.68OC. Both stainless and both great razors. I appreciate that these razors hold the blade more securely than the snap cap of the Futur. I feel the Futur allows a fair bit of play in the blade. It was never an issue in practice but I like the idea of a locked down rigid blade somehow. Shorter handles and a weight around 100g have also become my preference.

You may want to consider one of the more aggressive Timeless models. I hear that they are also very good.

Just updating my thread to say that I have decided to sell off my Futur, and have bought an ATT Atlas M1, second hand. I got a good deal on this and figured I could always but a more aggressive bottom plate. So far, the M1 suits me very well as a daily shaver and I am learning the ways of this razor (my only DE!). It's a beautiful handle with a great balance and feel, and it might be all I ever need...

Thanks for all your recommendations!
Great that you found something you like and it's a long way from the Futur. Glad that jump paid off.

Top Bottom