What's new

Replacing my Chubby 2 Super

I've only had my Chubby 2 in Super and unfortunately it has started to shed a considerable amount of hair during shaves - disappointing!

I'm looking for something up to 175 USD, a bit smaller in knot bloom than the Chubby, and perhaps a little bit firmer and less "splay". Right now I use cream (AOS or T&H) but might start experimenting with soaps. Any ideas?

Thx!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Given you want less splay than a Chubby in Super, probably something in 2 Band. Maybe customize a Shavemac to you specs, or go a little higher with your budget and get a Chubby 2 in Manchurian.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Most Simpson Supers are 3 Band. The 2 Band Super is pretty rare but supposedly great. I have a Chubby 2 Manchurian and it splays but not quite as easily as my Chubby 1 Super.

A custom Shavemac bulb would be a good option. Bulbs don't really splay the same way fans do.

Check out Shavemac's D-01 3-Band hair. You can select a handle shape which suits, find the appropriate knot size and you will receive a densely-packed, high quality brush.

Simpsons are very variable IME, even between brushes that are supposedly the same handle with the same hair. To me this is part of their charm!

That said, I have a number of Simpsons (Chubby 1, 57, 56, Duke 2 and Classic 2). For me the one that comes closest to your requirements is the Classic 2 which has terrific backbone and very little splay. It is great for face lathering hard soaps (actually they all are). YMMV for sure.

Thanks all. I think I want to avoid Simpsons after the massive shedding from the Chubby. To me I didn't see the value add in this brush.

look at Brad Sears, I have 2 M&F 2 bands from him and one of his 3 bands and they get used as much as my CH2 Super, he now has 2 band silvertip in his line

Elite Razor Manchurian White 28 mm fan with custom handle (you could have Bob turn you a chubby shape handle if you wanted). Right on your budget (or below if you go with a 26 mm knot). You can also specify the loft that you would like. Personally I'd stick with a 2:1 loft/knot ratio, but it does seem like the Chubby 2 goes a bit lower (~1.8). You'll have better backbone/flow through than your Simpsons and the tips will be much softer as well.

Also, I think Rudy Vey is offering Manchurian knots that should come in under your budget with a custom handle.

perhaps a little bit firmer and less "splay"

Shavemac bulb would be a good option. Bulbs don't really splay the same way fans do.

Check out Shavemac's D-01

I can't speak on the D01 2 band, but I have a Shavemac D01 Silvertip set in a LoveYourShave handle and it is outstanding. Mine is a 28mm, as big as a Chubby, but you can certainly get one a bit smaller which is what you indicated you wanted. It also checks your box for being a little firmer, and actually I would say more than a little firmer. It is easily my most dense knot. It is my only bulb knot and it does not splay much.
I feel like I have to say I really like Simpson's best badger hair, too. My Chubby 2 is at least five years old, and maybe more. It still works and feels great, and it almost never sheds. When it does it is always one single strand. Considering its age I can't complain. I also have a Commodore X3 in best. I wouldn't spend more for their super or manchurian because the best is damn good.

Last edited:
I can't speak on the D01 2 band, but I have a Shavemac D01 Silvertip set in a LoveYourShave handle and it is outstanding. Mine is a 28mm, as big as a Chubby, but you can certainly get one a bit smaller which is what you indicated you wanted. It also checks your box for being a little firmer, and actually I would say more than a little firmer. It is easily my most dense knot. It is my only bulb knot and it does not splay much.
I feel like I have to say I really like Simpson's best badger hair, too. My Chubby 2 is at least five years old, and maybe more. It still works and feels great, and it almost never sheds. When it does it is always one single strand. Considering its age I can't complain. I also have a Commodore X3 in best. I wouldn't spend more for their super or manchurian because the best is damn good.
Thanks very much for your endorsements. I'll definitely research Shavemac

Oh thank you so much. I take it since it is fake ivory there are no import issues to Canada?

Definitely faux and WCS ships to Canada. I checked Fendrihan who is in Canada. They sell faux ivory brushes from Simpson's and Vulfix that they bring in from the UK. I'm not an expert in Canadian customs, but it seems like a safe buy.

Definitely faux and WCS ships to Canada. I checked Fendrihan who is in Canada. They sell faux ivory brushes from Simpson's and Vulfix that they bring in from the UK. I'm not an expert in Canadian customs, but it seems like a safe buy.
Thanks so much

Thanks so much

No sweat and keep us posted. My 28mm D01 is incredibly firm. It is what I thought the Chubby 2 was going to be. Don't get me wrong. I do like the chubby, but I like the D01 a little more. It has the luxury feeling at the tips that one expects from silvertip, but with a firmness and density that makes it feel like it bullies your stubble, not the other way around. If you want something a little smaller, a 23 mm D01 should be sweet.

No sweat and keep us posted. My 28mm D01 is incredibly firm. It is what I thought the Chubby 2 was going to be. Don't get me wrong. I do like the chubby, but I like the D01 a little more. It has the luxury feeling at the tips that one expects from silvertip, but with a firmness and density that makes it feel like it bullies your stubble, not the other way around. If you want something a little smaller, a 23 mm D01 should be sweet.
Perfect

I've only had my Chubby 2 in Super and unfortunately it has started to shed a considerable amount of hair during shaves - disappointing!

I'm looking for something up to 175 USD, a bit smaller in knot bloom than the Chubby, and perhaps a little bit firmer and less "splay". Right now I use cream (AOS or T&H) but might start experimenting with soaps. Any ideas?

Thx!

How long have you had it for? I'd talk to Mark at Simpsons if I were you. Their customer service is superb. It's not unlikely that he'd send you out a free replacement. It's certainly worth the email /call.

How long have you had it for? I'd talk to Mark at Simpsons if I were you. Their customer service is superb. It's not unlikely that he'd send you out a free replacement. It's certainly worth the email /call.
Good idea. 1.5 years and used it once a week. Bought it from Fendrihan.

They are difficult to find these days but if you can locate an old Rooney Heritage Stubby2, you'll be very pleased. Mine performs every bit as well as my Chubby2 Super.

Craig

Top Bottom