What's new

Replacing Energy Drink Addiction with Iced Green Tea?

I'm looking to break my energy drink addiction and would like to start drinking green tea. I'd like to drink it Iced and will probably need a considerable amount to ward off withdrawals. Any recommendations on teas and brewing methods?

I'm looking to break my energy drink addiction and would like to start drinking green tea. I'd like to drink it Iced and will probably need a considerable amount to ward off withdrawals. Any recommendations on teas and brewing methods?

Are you looking for a bottled option or something you can brew yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Just did this yesterday. I used black tea, regular tea bags, in a large open pot, cold water, out in the sun. The tea brews slowly as it warms in the sun. I remove the bags and refrigerate the tea then add it to lemonade and play with the proportions for taste. You can also use green tea, but be more mindful of the brewing time so it does not become bitter. Boiled water to brew is fine, remove tea bags or strain loose tea and let cool. I only put it out in the sun as my kids think it’s better and call it “sun tea” .

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just did this yesterday. I used black tea, regular tea bags, in a large open pot, cold water, out in the sun. The tea brews slowly as it warms in the sun. I remove the bags and refrigerate the tea then add it to lemonade and play with the proportions for taste. You can also use green tea, but be more mindful of the brewing time so it does not become bitter. Boiled water to brew is fine, remove tea bags or strain loose tea and let cool. I only put it out in the sun as my kids think it’s better and call it “sun tea” .
THIS is the ONLY way that I LOVE tea. Unsweetened, for me.

Any other way just give me black coffee, because my taste buds are uneducated!

Some dozen years ago our son-in-law, an IT guy in his late 20s who seemed to live on computers and energy drinks, keeled over with a seizure at our house. The first officer on the scene told me that this was the 3rd young person seizure that he had responded to in less than a week. He suspected energy drinks, which proved to be the case. Our S-I-L & daughter still drink one occasionally, but in moderation.

My wife and I have been strong black coffee drinkers for 60 years, but we don't overdue it. We both love Death Wish coffee, but only have it on occasion

Last edited:

FarmerTan

Some dozen years ago our son-in-law, an IT guy in his late 20s who seemed to live on computers and energy drinks, keeled over with a seizure at our house. The first officer on the scene told me that this was the 3rd young person seizure that he had responded to in less than a week. He suspected energy drinks, which proved to be the case. Our S-I-L & daughter still drink one occasionally, but in moderation.

My wife and I have been strong black coffee drinkers for 60 years, but we don't overdue it. We both love Death Wish coffee, but only have it on occasion
I love my coffee, black and strong, but my heart now limits me to 2 cups a day. My son was in to those drinks for a bit, but now he is pretty much caffeine free.

Are kids just smarter today, or was I really as dumb as I appeared back then?

I think brewing would be the most economical but I also don't know the best way to make brewed iced tea.

proxy.php

This is a pretty good (ymmv) bottled option that’s available at my local Walmart and other grocery stores. They have this jasmine one and a plain green tea in the Asian food section. As far as iced tea goes, I bring a teakettle to a boil and pour into an appropriate bowl(metal for me) and steep whatever tea I’m using. Then I fill a pitcher with ice and pour the hot tea into it. I know this probably sounds like more work than necessary but it has yielded the best results for me. You can really play around with it and dial it in to your taste.

FarmerTan

I should add this thought: if you are on Coumadin/Warfarin for it's anticoagulation effects, be aware that Green Tea contains Vitamin K, which is the antidote for too much Coumadin.

A friend of mine made his blood too slow to clot by drinking Green Tea to find a healthier alternative to his coffee habit. I take Coumadin for my phony heart valve and I'm glad he found out the way he did and I didn't have to!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Are kids just smarter today, or was I really as dumb as I appeared back then?

I think it's a bit of both. My older son just came back into town to attend his younger brother's high school graduation. We all went to dinner. I was proud to see that our sons are smarter than we are and that I was at their age.

Fortunately, I am smarter than my wife, so I came in third at our table of four when it came to smarts.

I am smarter than my wife, by the way. I mean, come on. Look at who I married, and look at who she married, and tell me who's smarter. No contest.

Top Bottom