What's new

Replacement to Polsilvers

Just trying to help you guys. Good luck and yes, I have used easily dozens & dozens of different blades and I don't cut myself or get weepers unless it is my error. It's the Indian & not the arrow.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just trying to help you guys. Good luck and yes, I have used easily dozens & dozens of different blades and I don't cut myself or get weepers unless it is my error. It's the Indian & not the arrow.

I appreciate you're trying to help. I havent taken anything you've said personally and I'm trying to understand. Its very easy to assume its user error because so many times it is. There are always exceptions though.

My most memorable shave with a GSB in my Grande was far more than just a slight nic or weeper. I bled, profusely.

image001-1-jpg.825727

Oh yes, there was blood. A lot of it too.

First stroke mid ear to the base of my neck it felt really pretty good. Slight tugging at the base of my neck, a little more so than what I would call "normal" with my NEW SC. Enough to make me pay attention.

Slowly work my way across my face repeating the full length strokes everywhere but the face of my chin. Considerable tugging there and on my upper lip. However, I had what I felt was a very close first pass, but I had blood from five different places. Most notably from the right corner of my mouth, and slight irritation on my neck.

Wet my hand, shake off the excess water, wipe and feel to spread out the remaining lather. How surprised I was that I had gone from a 40 grit face to an 80 grit face. Not nearly as close as I had thought.

Lather up to commence the second battle. Patton himself would have been proud. Harsh and tuggy, really uncomfortable and I could see the redness on my neck growing angrily. Blood showing through the lather. I had blood in the lather on my face in 5 places. Blood on my razor from shaving that lather off. Blood in my sink floating in the lather from rinsing the razor. Blood on my brush and in my bowl.

I should add that I had started the second pass with a shallower angle hoping to reduce that harshness, but only increasing the tugging. I shifted to a steeper angle and stopped a lot of the tugging, but this blade became quite harsh for me.

I assumed the 3rd ATG pass would be an easier shave, and to a point I was right, but I knew I wouldnt be able to bear any clean up passes so I stopped after my 3rd full pass.

Even just rinsing with cold water stung and I had to do a lot of it trying to stop the bleeding. Finally I just wiped my face dry with a towel and let it stop on its own. Five minutes later I went back and rung out a wet hand towel and wiped the remaining blood off, then washed the towel out.

Never in my life, before or since, have I bled that much from any blade. They are an anomaly for me and always have been. Bleeding in 5 places on my first N-S WTG/XTG pass. The blood was actively running down my neck lol.

My second shave with the same blade, flipped, in the same razor.

LET ME SEE YOUR WAR FACE!

49 hours since last contact.

Same blade, bloodied but flipped.

Captain's Choice 45th Parallel.

I knew I'd need at least a 3 full pass shave with clean ups, so I made enough lather to support that.

First pass, again, full length strokes paying particular attention to angle, slightly steep. Entire first pass went without issue. The blade felt comfortable, if not sharp, and a wipe and check confirmed that. Quite a lot of stubble left, but no blood!

Won the first skirmish...

Second pass, light buffing XTG & ATG. Weeper again right corner of my mouth. I should soon develop a callus there lol. By the time I finished that pass the blade had become quite a lot smoother, but I still had a fair bit of stubble left.

We're winning this war.

Lather up again for a third battle facing the enemy squarely. Directly ATG.

That pass, along with the following three! clean up passes over my neck and chin all felt as though there was no blade in the razor.

I honestly can only make sense of the difference in shaves as the top coating layer wearing off.

If I offended you in any way, that was not my intention and apologize for that. I can certainly understand you are trying to help but it seems that in every post regardless of who it is of whether that person has plenty of experience in this hobby you are very quick to point out that it is their fault and sometimes it simply is not and that is something, I think, you can't grasp and why I posted what I did. Your posts, especially in the blade section of this forum, come off as you sounding like your the authority on blades and because you don't have a problem with any particular blade, how can someone else have a problem? That's just how your posts come off to me and I kinda lashed out, and again, I apologize as it wasn't intended as such... This is an example of where my experience is coming from.

If I am in the middle of a shave and, as I mentioned earlier, I find that a blade is tugging, nicking, or whatever and I change to my usual or one of my usual blades midshave and the remainder of the shave is smooth and efficient without any tugging, nicks, irritation, or such then how can you say its my fault? Everything stayed the same except for the blade being changed out. If you can make the statement that its just a blade, then why do I get drastically different results during same shave? Is it maybe I might have an idea that there is something about the blade that doesn't agree with me? As I said earlier I use only 2 razors and they are both from Timeless. This is because They work exceptionally well for me and it weeds out several variables in shaving for me and makes what I'm experiencing more consistent when trying to figure out why something does or doesn't work for me.

I am thinking that this is where the YMMV part of this hobby comes into the mix and makes the most sense to me. I'm not, and for the most part, I don't think others mention the problems like tugging and nicks and such to put a blade down, most times they genuinely have a problem with that particular blade and share their experience because for them it doesn't work... Then again, maybe I'm just rambling on about nothing here!!

If I offended you in any way, that was not my intention and apologize for that. I can certainly understand you are trying to help but it seems that in every post regardless of who it is of whether that person has plenty of experience in this hobby you are very quick to point out that it is their fault and sometimes it simply is not and that is something, I think, you can't grasp and why I posted what I did. Your posts, especially in the blade section of this forum, come off as you sounding like your the authority on blades and because you don't have a problem with any particular blade, how can someone else have a problem? That's just how your posts come off to me and I kinda lashed out, and again, I apologize as it wasn't intended as such... This is an example of where my experience is coming from...

Your experience is not solving your issue. I tried to help and you refused. I'm out. Good luck.

Your experience is not solving your issue. I tried to help and you refused. I'm out. Good luck.
I never refused anything, in fact I don't even remember asking for your help!! If you'd have actually read any of my previous posts in their entirety instead of dismissing them and assuming I was shaving incorrectly, youd've realized I had done everything I could when using the other blades and they still felt like little shards of glass going across my face. Didn't matter if it was shallow, steep, neutral, prep, lather, stoke, etc. which of my Timeless Ti95SB or the SS95DC razors I used, very different results!! Even more amazing is that I don't have those problems with a few of my other blades in the same razors, with the same prep, lather, angle, strokes, etc... Then again you are the expert!!

I'm done here too....

I tried the Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium coated blade this morning in my Piccolo, and it felt kind of dole and kind of felt some tugging on my hair.

Back to OP’s initial question, I love Polsilvers and think Gillette Platinums are a great replacement - sharp and smooth.

In fact, DCC’s site sells these as well. I’ve always had good experiences buying from him.

Gillette Platinum Blades

Back to OP’s initial question, I love Polsilvers and think Gillette Platinums are a great replacement - sharp and smooth.

In fact, DCC’s site sells these as well. I’ve always had good experiences buying from him.

Gillette Platinum Blades
That is one I have never tried. I have tried the Gillette Silver Blues, but they seem to irritate my skin.

I will have to sample these.

Top Bottom