What's new

Replacement to Polsilvers

I have been using Polsilvers exclusively pretty much since I bought 100 pack of them which has lasted me around 4 years. I am running low and I looked on the wholesellers site which states the blades are no longer in production and prices will go up. I started to look for an alternative just in case and have ran into a lot of people saying the Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium blades are pretty equivalent and are a lot cheaper. I have also found Wizamet blades, which are the only other Irridium coated blades I could find.

My question is, is there a blade that is similar to Polsilvers?

However, I have read that, they have had that posted for a few years and are still selling them, so it might not be an issue. Although, the Super-Max blades are like less than half the price and if they are as good, I might try those.

Are they? Even though they say that, they seem to still be the cheapest. I love Polsilvers, as to me they seem to be one of the sharpest blades and still be smooth. They have that perfect balance.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Stick to your Polsilver SIs. They're still being made. And stick to sellers that tell the truth. :wink2:

I checked that listing Cal and its the exact same listing as another seller had when I bought mine.

Screenshot_2019-02-16 100 Polsilver.png

Below is where I bought mine. His listing has changed three times since I bought mine and now I see it's back to the normal listing from last year.

100 POLSILVER SUPER IRIDIUM DE BLADES PRIORITY SHIPPING WITH TRACKING | eBay

Screenshot_2019-02-16 100 POLSILVER SUPER IRIDIUM DE BLADES PRIORITY SHIPPING WITH TRACKING eBay.png

Same country of origin and virtually the same ad. Interesting.

My 200 when I bought them almost 3 years ago now I guess, were $45 and change CAD, shipped. The shipping was just under $5CAD. Todays price per 200, from the same seller, would be $68.40CAD, shipped. Thats an increase of $11.50CAD/100, but I dont think it would stop me from buying them if I needed some.

I'm glad I still have 105 left. I wont be so wasteful with the rest lol.

I checked that listing Cal and its the exact same listing as another seller had when I bought mine.

View attachment 953465

Below is where I bought mine. His listing has changed three times since I bought mine and now I see it's back to the normal listing from last year.

100 POLSILVER SUPER IRIDIUM DE BLADES PRIORITY SHIPPING WITH TRACKING | eBay

View attachment 953466

Same country of origin and virtually the same ad. Interesting.

My 200 when I bought them almost 3 years ago now I guess, were $45 and change CAD, shipped. The shipping was just under $5CAD. Todays price per 200, from the same seller, would be $68.40CAD, shipped. Thats an increase of $11.50CAD/100, but I dont think it would stop me from buying them if I needed some.

I'm glad I still have 105 left. I wont be so wasteful with the rest lol.
Are Polsilvers your favorite blade? I was looking back through some of the other threads and noticed you mentioned the Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium's. Are they not as good? I kind of want to try them now, they are less than half the price as Polsilvers.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Are Polsilvers your favorite blade? I was looking back through some of the other threads and noticed you mentioned the Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium's. Are they not as good? I kind of want to try them now, they are less than half the price as Polsilvers.

Polsilvers are one of my top 3 blades yeah. In a razor with gap like my NEW SC or Slim, I cant tell Polsilvers from Blue Diamonds. In my Grande and Old Types, that have very little gap, I can. They dont work as well and need the mechanical advantage gap lends a razor design.

What are your top 3?

I have a few different razors, but the razor that has been my go to razor has been my Fatip Piccolo. Honestly not sure what the blade gap is, but I feel like it cuts the hair down shorter after the first WTG pass and I only end up doing a 2 pass shave with it. As opposed to a more traditional 3 pass shave I use to do before finding the Piccolo.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What are your top 3?

I have a few different razors, but the razor that has been my go to razor has been my Fatip Piccolo. Honestly not sure what the blade gap is, but I feel like it cuts the hair down shorter after the first WTG pass and I only end up doing a 2 pass shave with it. As opposed to a more traditional 3 pass shave I use to do before finding the Piccolo.

Blade gap is minimal. The green lines below. The red lines being the guard span. I prefer a shorter guard and cap span distance.

Fatip Grande. The Piccolo is the same head.
Fatip.Gap.Guard.Span.jpg

Compared to a Gillette NEW SC which has .023" blade gap.
NEWSC.Gap.Guard.Span.JPG

My made in Canada Gillette Old Type that has literally no blade gap at all. Unless you add in the bevel on the edge. The NEW SC is, basically, an Old Type with blade gap.
Canadian.jpg

My top 3 are Derby Extra, Polsilver and right now I'm torn between Feather and Gillette Yellow leaning to Feather.

I tried to like Feather blades for a year and could never get past them feeling very hash, but since finding soaps that work better for me I'm really starting to like Feather blades. My top soaps, PdP, WK, CRS(cream) and Wickham 1912, I dont feel any harshness from them at all.

Rounding out my top 5 would be Perma-Sharp Super and Gillette Black.

SE blades are easy, theres only one. GEM PTFE.

Blade gap is minimal. The green lines below. The red lines being the guard span. I prefer a shorter guard and cap span distance.

Fatip Grande. The Piccolo is the same head.
View attachment 953529

Compared to a Gillette NEW SC which has .023" blade gap.
View attachment 953530

My made in Canada Gillette Old Type that has literally no blade gap at all. Unless you add in the bevel on the edge. The NEW SC is, basically, an Old Type with blade gap.
View attachment 953532

My top 3 are Derby Extra, Polsilver and right now I'm torn between Feather and Gillette Yellow leaning to Feather.

I tried to like Feather blades for a year and could never get past them feeling very hash, but since finding soaps that work better for me I'm really starting to like Feather blades. My top soaps, PdP, WK, CRS(cream) and Wickham 1912, I dont feel any harshness from them at all.

Rounding out my top 5 would be Perma-Sharp Super and Gillette Black.

SE blades are easy, theres only one. GEM PTFE.
Nice short guard span is typical of the Swedish Swing and Matador. Swing here with the Marvel cap. No gap no problem.
proxy.php

Wow... I wasn't expecting to get a huge lesson in razors. haha

So, you're saying in razor's like the Grande with less gap, you can tell the difference between Polsilvers and Blue Diamonds right? You can't really tell with razors with a bigger gap, if I read that correctly.

I have used feathers before and they were too harsh for me. I tried them again later when I was proficient with my technique and I still felt they were too harsh. That is where the Polsilvers shine for me, is that they are almost as sharp(IMO) and way smoother for me. However, I don't understand Derby being in your top three. It has been a long time since I have tried one of those, but from what I remember they weren't sharp at all. I do really like Perma-Sharp blades as well. I feel like they are a little less sharp than the Polsilvers, but a little smoother. Probably would have been my go to blade if Polsilver discontinued their production and I couldn't find a blade like Polsilvers.

I don't know any of those soaps that you have mentioned. My go to soap has been Tabac as of late. I also like Reef Point soaps. I really like the quality of Stirling soaps, but I don't like the smell of almost all the soaps of theirs I have tried.

I had experience with older version of Feather before platinum coating was implemented, and did find them rough.
New Feather blade with platinum seems to be smoother compared to older without one.
I have recently revisited Feather and I might completely switch to them from Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet, Polsilver and Permasharp that I use now. I find new Feather two steps above my current blades. Extremely sharp, plenty of smooth and relatively lasting, I could get 4-5 great shaves. Plus I really like their packaging.
Price wise I have discovered that Feather blades on eBay got cheaper, $21 per 100 blades including shipping from Thailand. That’s very cheap for superior Japanese blade.

I have found that Gillette Nacets are a bit sharper than Polsilver SI but just as smooth. Search the forum and you’ll find many who agree. Depending on quantity, they can be had for around 10 to 12 cents each.

If you’re in the US, send me a PM and I’ll send a tuck your way before you take the plunge on 100 or more.

I have found that Gillette Nacets are a bit sharper than Polsilver SI but just as smooth. Search the forum and you’ll find many who agree. Depending on quantity, they can be had for around 10 to 12 cents each.

If you’re in the US, send me a PM and I’ll send a tuck your way before you take the plunge on 100 or more.
I am in the US. However, I just decided to buy some different blades from Tryablade.com and that was one that I picked up. Along with different Super-Max blades, Sputnik, Wizamet, and some more PermaSharps since I know I really like PermaSharp, just didn't like them as much as Polsilvers.

However, thank you for the offer anyway. I can't wait to try them. If they are sharper than Polsilver and just as smooth for that price, it would be a steal.

Top Bottom