What's new

Replacement for my Rockwell 6C suggestions

I emailed Rockwell recently about their 6C workmanship even before seeing this post ... they said they have put a fix in for the threading for the 6C .."However, the thread on the new 6C is improved to make it more durable". Even if you buy a new razor- I would try to get a new cap for your 6C from Rockwell since they know they have a known defect. Did they get back to you?

Sounds like you are set with the Karve... good luck!

I emailed Rockwell recently about their 6C workmanship even before seeing this post ... they said they have put a fix in for the threading for the 6C .."However, the thread on the new 6C is improved to make it more durable". Even if you buy a new razor- I would try to get a new cap for your 6C from Rockwell since they know they have a known defect. Did they get back to you?

Sounds like you are set with the Karve... good luck!
Yes I did reach out to them and they are sending me the replacement handle and top cap right now. Thanks :)
Yes really considering the Karve but taking my time as I am not in rush right now

If you are overtitening it might help add a rubber or other plastic washer. More expensive razors have washers - some shavers use and some don’t. If you don’t use over time a donut like mild scratch can appear.

6C should not have failed so quickly. Something went wrong- put plated pot mental heads will not last as long as other metals. 6S is tank like.

If you get a GC head - you have a top cap and base plate. You can get solid bar, open comb and/or jaws base plates and use the one top cap. GC loads with the blade to the base plate which some find to be awkward. I do. Stainless should be more durable than brass and will not patina. Italian barber (RR distribution) are also sells lots of different handles. They often go on sale - if you watch for the emails. Some have a strong preference for weight, thickness and length. Small hands perhaps 3 inch. Head shaver/body shaver 4 inch - longer reach.

Karve is well made. Brass will patina - you may like this - or need to polish to prevent if you don’t like. Patina will not affect function. Karve handles come in four different lengths.

Henson Al-Medium is the other Canadian that comes to mind. It also comes in mild. Longer handle from what I hear. Some really love it.

Timeless, Carbon Shaving and Above the Tie and occasionally Italian Barber (Razorock) all sell scratch and dent (or returned - not RR on this one) razors and/or parts. Above the Tie has a category of ugly. I am happy to buh from BST or non-perfect looking but functioning perfect.

Other razors that have not been mentioned for
SS entry level: Winner, Merica, EJ 3One6.

I think you are on the right track to be looking at SS with different base plates.
Never use a washer in a DE razor because this makes the thread shorter which can lead to damage to the thread. The thread is what has to take the force when u tighten the razor.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
If you are overtitening it might help add a rubber or other plastic washer. More expensive razors have washers - some shavers use and some don’t. If you don’t use over time a donut like mild scratch can appear.

6C should not have failed so quickly. Something went wrong- put plated pot mental heads will not last as long as other metals. 6S is tank like.

If you get a GC head - you have a top cap and base plate. You can get solid bar, open comb and/or jaws base plates and use the one top cap. GC loads with the blade to the base plate which some find to be awkward. I do. Stainless should be more durable than brass and will not patina. Italian barber (RR distribution) are also sells lots of different handles. They often go on sale - if you watch for the emails. Some have a strong preference for weight, thickness and length. Small hands perhaps 3 inch. Head shaver/body shaver 4 inch - longer reach.

Karve is well made. Brass will patina - you may like this - or need to polish to prevent if you don’t like. Patina will not affect function. Karve handles come in four different lengths.

Henson Al-Medium is the other Canadian that comes to mind. It also comes in mild. Longer handle from what I hear. Some really love it.

Timeless, Carbon Shaving and Above the Tie and occasionally Italian Barber (Razorock) all sell scratch and dent (or returned - not RR on this one) razors and/or parts. Above the Tie has a category of ugly. I am happy to buh from BST or non-perfect looking but functioning perfect.

Other razors that have not been mentioned for
SS entry level: Winner, Merica, EJ 3One6.

I think you are on the right track to be looking at SS with different base plates.
I have many of the razors mentioned in this thread. They’re all good.
Now here’s an interesting observation. The instructions that came with my Karve razors tell you to remove the washer. It is there for shipping purposes. I know…many of the YouTube shavers use them. I bought a bunch of those nylon washers myself. (Probably the cheapest wet shave purpose I made) Should I use them or not?

Why not use your Slim for a daily driver? I’m on a 30 day trip and shave daily. My Slim is the only razor I brought.

Good luck with your mission!!

...I know…many of the YouTube shavers use them. I bought a bunch of those nylon washers myself. (Probably the cheapest wet shave purpose I made) Should I use them or not?

I wouldn't use the washers. It reduces the number of threads holding things together by 2, 3, or more rotations depending on the washer thickness. I just lightly hand tighten.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Yes I wondered about that. If I drop the razor it’s better to have more threads engaged and hopefully not bend the threaded post on the cap.

Top Bottom