What's new

Replacement for Gillette mach3 Sensitive Skin cartridges?

As per title. It appears that Gillette have ceased production of the Mach3 'Sensitive' cartridge (bright green blister wrapped box), Amazon were the last place I could find them, and the 'sensitive' cartridges no longer appear on the Gillette website either; the 'normal' cartridges tend to be harsh (way more cuts).

Can anyone recommend a similar cartridge to the 'Sensitive' cartridge compatible with the Mach3 razor body?

Thanks in advance :)

Roger

I've got a couple of those, but I've not found blades that don't turn my face into badly butchered messes :(

So, daily use is the Mach3 sensitive cartridge, which doesn't turn my cafe into a Freddy Kruger-like visage at every turn. However, I may have to go (gasp, shock, horror) electric, if I can't find a suitable replacement for the mach3 'sensitive' cartridges.

Any suggestions, please?

I had problems with that too, even with DE. Rockwell did it for me, and of course beard mapping and TEHNIQUE.

Give Rockwell a chance it was the razor that did it for me. Also there is learning curve, first months of DE my shaves were WORSE than cartridge. Persistence is key

I'd also vote for a DE. Maybe your technique has not developed yet? Prep matters a lot. I.e.: I can't shave without showering first. Not to mention a good lather. I'd focus on these before dumping any more money on carts :)
Plenty of videos available on YT or written guides, posts here.

ps: you can try shaving only every other day (if your situation allows it). Works for me, I get no irritation this way, but I would if I shaved daily.

I had problems with that too, even with DE. Rockwell did it for me, and of course beard mapping and TEHNIQUE.

Give Rockwell a chance it was the razor that did it for me. Also there is learning curve, first months of DE my shaves were WORSE than cartridge. Persistence is key

+1! Technique trumps everything else in ‘traditional’ wet shaving! :clap: :clap:

Once you have the ‘muscle memory’ then it is tough to go back to carts (at least for me).

You didn't share what your DE setup was, but I can't imagine that you wouldn't do fine with a vintage SuperSpeed and a mild blade like an Astra. As already mentioned, technique is key. That includes using no pressure with the razor and blade. Since you've been shaving with a cart, you may be using more pressure with the DE.

Good luck.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Its strange that you are cutting yourself with cartridges, but I suppose it depends in face etc, have you tried looking on ebay? other than that probably looking for nos at walmart, costco/sams club and clearing their shelves if you find it. If that fails, maybe you could switch to a two blade cartridge that don't cut quite as close?

Nicks all over the place with blades that aren't specifically 'sensitive'. Especially Wilkinson, but I've carved myself up on those with my DE as well.

The DE is a Gillette Slim; I've yet to find blades that don't carve me up for that one either :(

OK, I have a Gillette Skin Guard (nearest thing I could find) on the way, should be here tomorrow. Will update after the first use (likely Wednesday).

As per title. It appears that Gillette have ceased production of the Mach3 'Sensitive' cartridge (bright green blister wrapped box), Amazon were the last place I could find them, and the 'sensitive' cartridges no longer appear on the Gillette website either; the 'normal' cartridges tend to be harsh (way more cuts).

Can anyone recommend a similar cartridge to the 'Sensitive' cartridge compatible with the Mach3 razor body?

Thanks in advance :)

Roger
I guess you already have tried the standard Mach 3 cartridges (are these the "normal" cartridges you are referring to?)?

It actually arrived this morning, so I had a go.

First impression: The grip's heavier than the one on the Mach3. It's got a different attachment system for the cartridges too, which is annoying, but unsurprising. There are two blades on the cartridge, not four.

First shave: Using hot water, I soaked a flannel, and then applied it to my face to soften up the beard. I then used my Mühle Sandalwood Shaving Cream, squirting some onto my brush, then to my face, lathering it up on my face, a technique that works for me quite nicely.

I then used standard light pressure in down, across, and against the grain passes. I found the razor easy to use, even if the cartridge is larger (length and height) than the Mach3 I was hitherto using; it pivots on its mount well, easily, and when applied to my beard, without trace of jerkiness, following the contours of my face ably. It gives a very nicely lubricated pass, with an equally nice close shave on 48 hours of stubble.

I nicked my self without even realising it on the left side five times (I'm right handed). I attribute this to not being familiar with the razor. Passes of my wetted Osma Alum Block halted the slight bleeding effectively.

I did not apply Mühle Sandalwood after shave moisturiser this time, as I wanted to feel how the shave went over the course of the day. I imagine that this would add to the experience greatly next time I use the razor.

The close shave has lasted longer than my electric razors provide, and nine hours later, I still don't have anything even approaching a nine o'clock shadow.

I am therefore reasonably happy with the shave the razor gave me, and thanks to shavefan and abershaver for the recommendations :thumbup:

I think it has the same head system as the fusion series. The handle should be compatible with any fusion cartridge.
Glad it worked for you. I had the worst shave of my life with the Skin Guard when I tried it during my cart days. It just couldn't shave me, it struggled to cut anything. The gel strip was destroyed by the end of a one pass shave :).

Top Bottom