What's new

Replacement for Gillette Bleue Extra

Hey everyone,

Im running out of GBEs and need a replacement. I could get GSB, which should be roughly the same? Or 7o clock yellows, PermaSharps Super, or Astra SP or SS. Some years ago I tried a few and settled on the GBE, which I felt was perfect for me. Should I stick to the same or get something else? Price is not really important to me. Using a “soft” Merkur Razor with short and thin Handle.

Thanks for your input.

I’d try something else if you can, particularly if you can source a good deal.

I tried Silver Blues, Nacets and Gillette Wilkinson Swords (Indian saloon pack) last year and discovered I got on better with all 3 than 7 o clock super stainless. I still rate 7 o clock super stainless though, but am glad I tried the others.

Well, first of all which exactly Bleue Extras are you talking about. There are at least 5 varieties. All of them shave differently. Even the ones in the plastic dispenser are 2 types. I have V code 2000 blades that are prior to the P&G era and are one of the nicest blades ever. I also have the same plastic dispensers but post 2005 with P&G on the card. Not the same. Later on they made them in Russia and they were on a card but it was a cardboard tuck, not a dispenser.
Anyway you won't find the same blade as the now discontinued GBE. And if we tell what's similar, it won't be similar to you.

I used these ones, made in St. Petersburg.
proxy.php

I know these are discontinued. Any similar blades out there?

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I also think you need to try a few blades. I just did this two weeks ago and found the GSB made my face a little unhappy, Gillette Yellow were smooth but not quite sharp enough, and Gillette Platinum were the clear favorite. No way to know until you try.

I have a question about this blades. Currently my favourite blade is Gillette Bleue Extra. Tuck is imilar to the one posted here but it is attached to a bigger piece of carton. I can still get them in local L'eclerc

Are they selling their old stocks?
If those are no longer available, what is similar?

I don't think Platinums can compare...at least the ones I tried. When compared to Extra Bleue it was like shaving with a pebble. I caught myself using a significant amount of pressure to cut all the hair. But they are smooth I give them that. Did almost no damage

Frankly if money is no object then you could just as well go on eBay and start looking for vintage blades you like.

Though IIRC the Silver Blue is probably the descendant of the Bleue Extra and should probably be the first one to try.

If you are looking for another Gillette blade, Connaught have a sample pack.

It seems P&G Gillette is having a lot of fun switching names on what are probably two or three different blades. With all the changes to the little cardboard boxes there are several discussions as to what is the new swede, the new spoiler, super silver, platinum plus and Bleue Extra. Personally, I think it is a plot to exhaust DE shaves to switch to carts. Gillette probably has agents spreading false information over the forums

It seems P&G Gillette is having a lot of fun switching names on what are probably two or three different blades. With all the changes to the little cardboard boxes there are several discussions as to what is the new swede, the new spoiler, super silver, platinum plus and Bleue Extra. Personally, I think it is a plot to exhaust DE shaves to switch to carts. Gillette probably has agents spreading false information over the forums
Switching names on 2-3 blades you say? I have a very large number of Gillette models from all over the world, both current production and discontinued. Trust me there are quite a lot more than 2-3 and I can feel the difference. It's not just a marketing trick.

Honestly, Most of their double edge production is concentrated in one plant in Russia. So I believe 3 blades with some minor tweaks will get the job done. It is called economy of scale. Look at how many brands Lord makes. Does anyone not believe that they are the same blade in different packages?

I really don't argue politics, religion, or razor blades since none are that important in my life. I respect your opinion, that you are entitled to. Have a good day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom