What's new

Repeated purchases - the humble Goodwill

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I recently purchased a lovely English Gillette Goodwill razor - this is the third one I have owned after twice choosing to sell my Goodwill razor when thinning out my collection.

20210412_125743.jpg

As luck would have it, my current Goodwill is the best example I have owned and when I use it I am reminded how fantastic the Goodwill is. It is certainly one of the best razors I have ever used and I wonder why I twice chose to sell my previous examples. I have concluded that my repeated purchases must indicate that the humble Goodwill deserves to remain in my rotation in perpetuity.

Have other members purchased the same razor several times after selling the previous examples? How many times and which razor? Do you still own the latest iteration?

EclipseRedRing

Is the goodwill a new or new improved Gillette razor?
I am no expert here but I go by the Mr.Razor website which lists Gillette razors in eight categories - Old Type, New Improved, The New, The Goodwill, The Tech, One Piece Open Comb, One Piece Solid Guard Bar, and Adjustable. So I would say the Goodwill is neither a New nor a New Improved but is in its own category; there appear to be five different Goodwill variants.

I am no expert here but I go by the Mr.Razor website which lists Gillette razors in eight categories - Old Type, New Improved, The New, The Goodwill, The Tech, One Piece Open Comb, One Piece Solid Guard Bar, and Adjustable. So I would say the Goodwill is neither a New nor a New Improved but is in its own category; there appear to be five different Goodwill variants.
Ah, thank you. Gorgeous razor and I agree it seems it should stay a part of your collection!

I too have bought and sold a few Goodwills and in fact, sold one this past week. If not for trying to pare down the number razors in my den, I would always have a Goodwill in my arsenal. Only the Gillette New short comb surpasses my love for the Goodwill as far as vintage Gillette open combs go, so for now I am only keeping the New SC. They are both great shaving razors.

EclipseRedRing

We sold a Wii and then bought another one a year or three later (still have that one). It’s not as cool as a Gillette Goodwill and doesn’t shave as smoothly, either.
I should have been clearer, I meant has anyone bought ANY razor several times over after selling the exact same make and model, not just the Goodwill. That said, including games consoles is stretching it a bit 🤣 I need a lie down 🤪

A Goodwill with an ABC handle has been my regular DE razor for years. Recently I used my very first razor, a black handle superspeed from 79, and find that the Goodwill gave a much smoother shave.

The Goodwill head came to me in an ABC set (in the ornate brass travel case). Even though I've used it for years, last evening's shave some how gave me the feeling that the handle is a bit heavy. Never really noticed it before. I'm thinking a New style handle might be good. Any thoughts?

A Goodwill with an ABC handle has been my regular DE razor for years. Recently I used my very first razor, a black handle superspeed from 79, and find that the Goodwill gave a much smoother shave.

The Goodwill head came to me in an ABC set (in the ornate brass travel case). Even though I've used it for years, last evening's shave some how gave me the feeling that the handle is a bit heavy. Never really noticed it before. I'm thinking a New style handle might be good. Any thoughts?
A matter of personal preference. I don't like the Common Bar Handle at all, it's too light for me, shifting the balance of the razor way toward the head rather than being perfectlyl balance like the New Deluxe. Most any third party handle will fit, no law against experimenting with them.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Yes, I have 3 fat handled Techs, and I can't pass up a black handled Super Speed in good user condition or better marked under $15. I have 4 of them, and have probably owned and passed along 4 more over the years to friends and converts.

I own a New Improved that is the nicest razor I own in terms of its looks, but I find it somewhat difficult to trust. It feels like there's no room for error.

new improved.jpeg

Last edited:
I have two Probak razors, which could be considered the prototype for the Goodwill since the Goodwill was designed to introduce the blade that resulted from Gillette's infringement of AutoStrop's patent, and I like them better than the Goodwill.

Every so often you'll see a Goodwill with a Probak handle - AutoStrop using up their surplus after assuming practical control of Gillette.

Top Bottom