What's new

Repairing/Tuning Old Dexter Carbon Chef Knife

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A recent commercial with emerill for his air fryer iirc had me shaking my head. He just looked off his game but i guess gotta make that bread.
Thread Derail Warning:

Just started looking at some higher end counter top ovens....

Good friend/lifetime neighbor hates her last Emiril purchase, says the air fry function stinks.

@OldSaw : brother, I love your new home/old place, not sure I ever told you. The lovely bride and I may actually do that to our 65 year old homestead here. Mostly just gut the insides and make a big open space.

Is that a conduction stove top I see? And was it you that was asking on here for advice/comments on purchasing it? My memory is shot.

My wife is a GREAT cook, and loves to do it. I'd love to get her the kitchen that she deserves.

Lol, I should have probably not derailed your thread and started my own! Sorry my friend...

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thread Derail Warning:

Just started looking at some higher end counter top ovens....

Good friend/lifetime neighbor hates her last Emiril purchase, says the air fry function stinks.

@OldSaw : brother, I love your new home/old place, not sure I ever told you. The lovely bride and I may actually do that to our 65 year old homestead here. Mostly just gut the insides and make a big open space.

Is that a conduction stove top I see? And was it you that was asking on here for advice/comments on purchasing it? My memory is shot.

My wife is a GREAT cook, and loves to do it. I'd love to get her the kitchen that she deserves.

Lol, I should have probably not derailed your thread and started my own! Sorry my friend...
The cooktop is induction and I am very happy with it. I probably asked, but it was a whirlwind of building, and researching, and buying. I highly recommend induction. Because of the remote area in which we live, we were advised NOT to get the very popular LG brand (due to poor warranty response outside of major metro areas). We were looking at GE Cafe and finally settled on Wisconsin based Wolf. It was slightly more expensive than the GE and requires a 40 amp dedicated circuit. Some of the other brands with lower amperage hookup cut back the power on some hobs if they are calling for too much. I have never had a reduction of heating capacity even with three running at or near high. I almost never use all four at once.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The cooktop is induction and I am very happy with it. I probably asked, but it was a whirlwind of building, and researching, and buying. I highly recommend induction. Because of the remote area in which we live, we were advised NOT to get the very popular LG brand (due to poor warranty response outside of major metro areas). We were looking at GE Cafe and finally settled on Wisconsin based Wolf. It was slightly more expensive than the GE and requires a 40 amp dedicated circuit. Some of the other brands with lower amperage hookup cut back the power on some hobs if they are calling for too much. I have never had a reduction of heating capacity even with three running at or near high. I almost never use all four at once.
All I wanted to know friend.

New to the group, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I have a couple vintage Sabatier carbon steel knives. Build up patina mentioned above is necessary with these old gals to keep from forming rust. I also use a product called Frog Lube Extreme. Funny name but great lube and rust preventer. It's one of the few non-toxic lubes with great rust protection. It's widely used by gun folks as cleaner and lube. I started using it on my lantern and iron stuff collection. There's days of debate between gun guys on the best. Like shaving products! But Frog Lube Extreme is non toxic, wintergreen scent and a drop goes along way! I keep a small wad of heavy flannel in a small tupper ware container in the knife drawer. The flannel has enough that when wiping on a blade leaves the slightest film. Polish it in, Done! Mineral oil works too. But love the slick finish on the blade. For anyone interested in rust prevention of guns, collectibles, outdoor metal, etc. Check out the comprehensive test a guy did of oil and reproduction products at dayattherange.com Very interesting and we'll done!!

Top Bottom