What's new

Repairing an Allegro machine

I have been using an Allegro Automatic Honing and Stropping Machine for Safety Razor Blades but there are some scratches on the strop plate (see pics below). Also some on the home plate but I don’t use it very much. Any thought on how I can remove these?
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R

romsitsa

Hello,

to remove the stone assembly push down the metal spring (trinagle shaped, to the left in all of your pictures) and pull the rod to the right.
If you want to remove and replace the stones and leather from the rod, I think they were glued on. Iirc this rod could be ordered as a spare part from Allegro, so I don't think there will be an easy way to replace it. My best bet would be cannibalising another Allegro in good condition.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Yes, I had one once, and checked my Hungarian clone before answering, it looks to me like three custom made blocks of stone/leather were glued onto the rod.

Adam

If you wish to get rid of the scratches and at the same time flatten a stone like that, one option would be to put some extra fine wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of glass, wet the sandpaper so that it sticks to the glass and then rub the surface of the stone on it. If you don't have a piece of glass handy, stick the sandpaper to a window or a mirror.

Top Bottom