What's new

Renovateur By Saphir - Has anyone use this?

I just ordered some this week myself. I'll let you know what I think after it arrives, provided no one else has something to say. I'll use it on all my good shoes but mostly I bought it for my 1000 Mile Boots. It looks like the guy in these videos is using something like Renovateur - that was one reason I bought it:

http://youtu.be/0dKav9_7X6U and http://youtu.be/wgYle0NDw9o

Does that help?

--------T_M

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's great stuff ... use it as a pre-polish application, or buff after it's dry for a decent shine.

I guess what I was wondering if this would be used in addition to shoe wax polish? If so, would it be used before or after I've applied the polish?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Whoops, I guess this answers my question :) Looks like I need more caffeine! Thanks Doc!

:lol:

Ok, so does anyone have experience using this on other leather goods, such as a briefcase or wallet?

I've applied it to my Saddleback notepad (tobacco coloured leather.) It does quite nicely.

The Saddleback tobacco leather comes with a matte finish ... applying the Renovateur will give it a gloss finish (unlike applying Obaneut's liquid treatment, which will maintain the matte appearance.)

So I've used this stuff on a number of items. As mentioned, it will give a gloss finish, but I've found on some of my leather (briefcases) it seems to dry the material out. After applying a few coats (3-4), this seems to have resolved the issue. I'll attempt to mess with it as a top coat to some type of conditioner.

It did provide a gloss to my shoes, but I wasn't able to easily shine my shoes with renovateur on them. I ended up saddle soaping the shoes and applying a different conditioner and then shining my shoes.

Anyone know where you can get this from online shops in Europe? Or some other place that ships internationally?

It seems to be getting hip in certain circles in the US. Here, onthefly, and the hanger project however I believe it is a French product so I would imagine you would be able to get in from a European Vendor. Likely much easier for you with the shipping/customs/VAT issue than to order it from the US

Saphir products seems to be all the rage these days and I'm sure they're excellent but I have been restraining myself.

I having cleaning shoes and leather goods with Fiebing's saddle soap; conditioning with Fiebing's, Renapur Leather Balsam or Bic 4; and shining with Kiwi and more recently Lincoln.

These are a fraction of cost of Saphir products and for me do a fine job. I never fail to achieve a mirror shine (should I want it) with little effort and have actually never had shoes or other leather goods (some of which are well over 20 years old) dry out, crack or fail otherwise.

Saphir products achieve a better shine and gloss with less effort as experienced by a lot of folks but I don't think I put in all that much effort to achieve the best looking shoes at work, out in town, traveling through train stations and airports, etc...

I suggest you do not try Saphir and keep restraining yourself, eelhc. If you do try Saphir, it might be hard to go back.

<have actually never had shoes or other leather goods (some of which are well over 20 years old) dry out, crack or fail otherwise. >

I wish I could say the same. You are doing better than I am!

Excellent products...renovateur, creams and wax polishes
They also make some great creams for cordovan that have
little or no oils in them. (since cordovan has plenty of its own)
Buy without fear

Excellent products...renovateur, creams and wax polishes
They also make some great creams for cordovan that have
little or no oils in them. (since cordovan has plenty of its own)
Buy without fear
Check out The Elegant Oxford YouTube channel. The guy can put an an amazing shin on shoes using Saphir products. Akin to putting an incredible edge o a straight edge razor!

Top Bottom