What's new

Removing Thuringian hone original saw marks.

I'm trying to get a census on everyone's thoughts of lapping off the original saw marks on a vintage thuringian hone. To me the saw marks detract from the natural beauty of the stone. The vintage thuri in question is a two tone stone. The top part of the stone is a green / light green and the bottom of the stone is a dark blueish almost black in color and I would like to see the beauty of that color transition but it's really hard to see it with all of the saw marks filled with about a hundred years of dirt and oxidation. I guess my question is will I ruin the value or more importantly remove the history of this stone by lapping off the saw marks. Another thought is what if I just lap one long side just so I can view the colors transition and still keep some original saw marks. One more important question is would it be horrible to lapp off the saw marks on the bottom of the hone. Thanks in adv

If you're looking to sell it someday don't. I have cleaned the grime off of the sides of thuris in the past with rubbing alcohol and rags

Thanks for your much appreciated input. I have no intentions on selling this stone. From my research that I have gathered this is a rare and very sought after hone and of a decent size at 7"× 1 5/8" it's also in its original wooden box with matching rubbing stone with a near mint label on the inside of the lid. Knowing that I will never sell it I still don't want to detract from its history or value by lapping off its original saw marks if this practice is frowned upon.

It’s a rock, unless it is a labeled stone, value is questionable/variable there are thousands/hundreds of thousands of them in the wild.

If it is a labeled stone, it will still be a labeled stone and saw marks probably will not affect value.

Is a Jnat sealed in Urishi lacquer worth more than one sealed in Mod podge, if the mod podge one produces a smoking edge?

If you don’t plan on selling it, your kids will probably sell it in a garage sale for $2.

Personally I’d leave them, but just cos I like the look and an aesthetic reminder of history. If I didn’t then I’d see no problem getting rid. Same with kawa.

Having said that... I really like your idea of doing it just on one side. That’s probably what I’d do if I were you.

This inspired me to have a proper look at a Thuri I got recently which at first didn’t appear to have any typical saw marks on it, and... I found some! Just on one corner, but it made me happy nonetheless.

EA8A10A0-E577-41B4-A828-B343B4E2805D.jpeg

I would try cleaning the saw marks with a tooth brush or something under running water.

After they are clean, see if the coloration is clearer when the stone is wet. If so, maybe all you need to do is seal the sides which makes them look permanently “wet”. I’m not sure if sealing thuringians is typical, but when I seal my jnats the coloration on the sides and bottom really pops.

I would leave the saw marks alone as well. I look at it like this: these stones are pretty much antiques at this point. People appreciate originality in antique items. Even if you never sell it, a future owner might very much appreciate that originality. Once they are gone they can never be replaced. That stone will likely be around for a very long time after you are long gone.

Top Bottom