What's new

Removing the safety bar

My brother in law does wet shaving, he uses a double edge razor. But what he does is, he removes the lower part of the of the razor (which is the protector) so he only has the top and the blade. Does anyone else does this or has done it at some point?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Sounds like a devette. Sometimes the safety bar or comb is ground away, and sometimes the entire baseplate is discarded. It is more common than you may think.

images (2).jpeg

My brother in law does wet shaving, he uses a double edge razor. But what he does is, he removes the lower part of the of the razor (which is the protector) so he only has the top and the blade. Does anyone else does this or has done it at some point?
I've done it. It's most common on open comb models. A tooth or two breaks, then it's time to cut them all off. A lot of older folks also cut the guard off Gillette Techs as well. There was a razor on Amazon, the Barbe Bleue BB Model X, that was sold without a guard.

While this sounds danergerous, if one is an experienced wet shaver with at least a couple of years worth of shaving under their belt, it's no trouble at all. One just needs to exercise caution, and take their time with the shave. Rushing is contraindicated.

Edit: @timetofly posted a picture of the Barbe Bleue above.

Does anyone else does this or has done it at some point?
A few have tried it but without adequate clamping the blade is going to bend a lot. Better to try a devette which is essentially a no guard razor using a modified base plate with the standard cap. Have a look at this thread; Using a 3 piece safety razor without the base plate ? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/using-a-3-piece-safety-razor-without-the-base-plate.626941/post-11844122
On balance, I think I would rather spend the time working on technique with a standard razor.

Top Bottom