What's new

Removing Mothball Smell from clothing

So what are your tricks for removing Mothball smells from clothing?
I bought a suit from a second hand store in great condition, only it reeks of mothballs.
Here is what I tried so far.
Dry cleaned: not much success
Hung in windows over night: a little help
Steamed in bathroom with vinegar in tub: this seemed to help quite a bit.
Hung out in sun: this helped a lot. Did this at least 4 days
In a bag with baking soda: currently doing this will leave for a week and see what happens.

The sun seemed to help a lot just that there is so much cloth to a suit, takes time to get it ali out.

So what do you guys do?

Maybe Febreze? Maybe they make an unscented version. The reason I suggest that is that Febreze was actually originally invented to trap and stop odors. It did poorly in test markets for that intended purpose, so they added some perfumes to the mix, and marketed it as a "last step" to your house cleaning process. So although its advertised as good smelling stuff to make your house smell good, at its core, it is a very effective odor eliminator. Even if they don't sell an unscented one, whatever smells are in it are probably preferable to moth balls, and it probably goes away quickly.

There is no real good way except to air your clothes out before wearing them. I've heard that putting the items in the dryer will speed the process up, but I have never tried it. The heat helps the removal process which is why the sun was more effective. If you are still using mothballs, you may want to consider switching to cedar (you can buy cedar disks next to the mothballs) as it is a natural moth repellent.

Per Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis - "Sunshine is the best disinfectant." Air it out, reversing the suit and be patient. Some of the smell will remain. It is just very tenacious.

Thanks for the updates guys. Looking forward to wearing this suit.

I'm not the one who used the mothballs, but cedar is a good suggestion. I had thought about putting the suit in a bag with some cedar chips to see if that helps. (Bought the suit at a consignment store)

Top Bottom