What's new

Removing hones

Legion

Staff member
Any tips or tricks for removing hones from their wooden boxes?

I bought this mystery hone, and I need to give it a bath to work out what it is.

23514E37-179F-47E0-8A5B-2C8F7A4F59FC.jpeg
D76CBFC2-4A00-43F7-8065-55240046AAE6.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
I went with old fashioned brute strength, and the stone came away.

it looks like it was stuck into place with a hard clay? I’ve never seen that before.

I am at a loss to the type of stone.

8E2E459A-0750-4138-983A-74EDF10547F7.jpeg
CDDB0E02-99BF-4E44-8FDA-F33F520FA4D9.jpeg

Looks a lot like what was holding my (your) coticule in place. Oven-ing to about 100 c works to soften most glues/epoxys if anyone comes up against this problem again. Or if you're not fussed about keeping the original box/case - most stones will be fine with naked boiling; not very soft or layered stones, but most should be grand for five or ten mins. Most important is to do it very gradually, and not try to force the stone too much.

I usually don’t care for the wooden bases stones sometimes come in, so I use either brute strength or a chisel and it often destroys the base.

Legion

Staff member
I usually don’t care for the wooden bases stones sometimes come in, so I use either brute strength or a chisel and it often destroys the base.
That was a possible last resort, but it is a nicely made antique box, so I’m glad just enough hone was poking out to grip on to. I’ll leave it loose to use, but I’ll clean the box up for storage.

I tend to use a process of several hours in an oven at 200-250C to soften the adhesive, a few days bath for the stone in a solvent (not strong enough to dissolve the stone), and then an acetone scrub for the stubborn bits of glue left, I've separated and cleaned a lot of jnats that way to seal them.

I tend to use a process of several hours in an oven at 200-250C to soften the adhesive, a few days bath for the stone in a solvent (not strong enough to dissolve the stone), and then an acetone scrub for the stubborn bits of glue left, I've separated and cleaned a lot of jnats that way to seal them.

200 - 250 celsius??? Farenheit surely...?

(Just in case anyone gets confused ;))

Upside down, hand on the stone, gentle taps with a soft hammer on the wood edges. Side to side, until the stone clears.

If strong glue is involved, the stone can be damaged. Heat can help, but is no guarantee.

I guess destroying the wood is the only wat to be 100% protective of the stone

The old stones were usually bedded in the boxes with something equivalent to glazing putty made with linseed oil and whiting, sets off pretty hard after a long time since the linseed oil polymerizes.

Stone looks like a Charnley Forest to my eyes. Nice find.

Just tap the end of the box with a small hammer, the shock is enough to break the seal. Usually, they are just friction fit and even if glued small hammer taps will get it loose.

You can hear the change in pitch once it starts to come loose. Nice stone.

I thought that maybe soaking it in water would swell the wood and make it harder to remove but it seems that it makes removing the stone much easier.

Top Bottom