What's new

Removing A Glued Oilstone From A Wooden Case With A Restoration Thrown In

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Over the years a have been lucky to find a few stones here and there. Most of them, if in a box, usually pop right out. Occasionally, if a significant stone is glued in a box, I will destroy the box to recover the stone. Very rarely a important stone is glued into an important box, now that’s where things get tricky and it just happened again. A late 1800’s Pike Washita was badly glued in the bottom case with the lid having a near perfect “use sperm oil” stamp inside. The seller, a little old lady at the market sold it to me. She tried to give it to her grandson who did not want it. She told me “he’s to darn busy playing with that darn gameboy” GAMEBOY!! HAHAHA!! I tried all my non invasive methods to remove, a few tap-tap-taps with a mallet, inertia, in the hot Florida sun for the day, and in a 200 degree oven (when SWMBO is gone) for a few hours, but no luck. This stone was glued into the bottom, by a rocket surgeon, with what looks like spray foam and it was not a good job, the foam was everywhere. Time to preform surgery to remove the stone. I do this by separating the sides from the bottom. I find the glue joint, looking for the weakest spot to exploit. I use SE and utility razor blades and work them into the joint around the circumference. The SE are thinner and the utility blades are stronger. As the joint opens, add another razor. Slow and easy, tap tap tap with a peening hammer. Eventually the four sides separate. To separate the wooden bottom from the stone, I use a long, thin-kerf knife to drive between the two. Once again, slow and easy., tap tap tap. Do not want to put undo stress on the stone. Keep the pressure on the wood so it gives to the will of the blade. Now that they are separated, time to take a deep breath, the hard part is done. While reverse engineering the wood, the stone goes into the cleaning dip to see what is under the funk. I only clean up the bottom tray, all inside plains, and glue joints on the sides. The rotten foam is everywhere. I do minimal work on the outside of the box so as not to harm the century old patina of the wood. Only gently scraping away what does not belong and gently cleaning. Simply glued all pieces back together doing my best to hide any evidence of being disassemble. I noticed that I left a DNA sample in the tray for future historians. One thinned coat of finish in the bottom to seal only the inside. All ready for the next hundred years

C5B87953-994D-4199-82FA-60AF9028137F.jpeg
18B77AF2-3D6C-4024-88DA-77A377996E2B.jpeg
57BC1A80-7BAB-49C1-9C6B-53CF61E27070.jpeg
011A448D-9E75-496F-8EF2-72ED6E2AB89F.jpeg
8FB9C7A2-D3F8-4358-86A6-2F3D74E39D6F.jpeg
E352492A-E892-4665-81F0-11A51F239CC2.jpeg
46E51335-F6B9-47BD-86AA-7E5A66CE45FE.jpeg
28BA5B40-704B-451D-BFD1-18243C60D0AB.jpeg
98EBB833-B355-4606-A844-BD9E7D12942E.jpeg
BB0FCD45-7DEF-4DC8-B40A-6A0722BC26D2.jpeg

Can you tell us more about how the old glue acted, if it's that old it could sure be animal glue? (and if it's from washita, it could be some poor horse or other live stock. Horse or rabbit is supposed to hav made good glue. And fish, but that's lower odds perhaps. Would be kinda poetic though. Fish glue in the box and sperm oil on the stone)

English is not my first language but that's dadoes right?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
English is not my first language but that's dadoes right?

Being a junior joiner, a I would call it a Dado combined with a Butt joint. When I make my boxes, I do a rabbit joint at the corners. That is how I can easily control the width so has minimal free space around the stone

Can you tell us more about how the old glue acted

If the box was in original condition, it would have fell apart from the heat. Being it was filled with foam, it held the whole thing together. After the zombie apocalypse, spray foam along with cockroaches will all survive

F36C8CE8-D2CA-4C5C-A743-9979B9E70208.jpeg

I'm sure that glue was a recent addition, not an old hide glue. It looks very much like polyurethane glue - basically the same stuff as Gorilla Glue (and yes, spray foam is a form of polyurethane too, but you can generally pop that loose pretty easily). It is a pretty dead giveaway seeing all the bubbles. Hide glue may have been used on the actual box joints though. Good work Tim. 👍

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thank you very much @eKretz The glue is a modern mess. The box it 100% original except for the poly?? glue. It did not want to pop easily. It was everywhere, I think the bottom tray was filled and the stone was embedded in the box. It came up the sides almost to the top. It took some work but well worth the effort

Top Bottom