What's new

Removing 2nd component on a strop

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have a Tony Miller plain vanilla strop with cotton component. I applied CrOx to it, but use it seldom. I would like to flip it over, but when I turn the screws, the entire assembly spins, and there is not a good way to keep the backs from moving. Any ideas?

Put anything soft rubber under the smooth side of the chicago screw. Then as you push down with the screwdriver the rubber helps grab the backside and hold it while you loosen the screw. If that won't get it then it is a bit over tightened and you will have to resort to pliers. I recommend smooth jaw pliers to start.

Put anything soft rubber under the smooth side of the chicago screw. Then as you push down with the screwdriver the rubber helps grab the backside and hold it while you loosen the screw. If that won't get it then it is a bit over tightened and you will have to resort to pliers. I recommend smooth jaw pliers to start.

+1. Rubber has helped me out this way as well. Be sure to exert a bit of downward pressure on the screwdriver in attempting loosen the Chicago screw.

Sometimes you can free them up by heating and then chilling them.It's tedious.
I've cut a slot in the dome side on a few in the past also. Pliers will work but if I said 'be careful when you do that' - it would be an understatement; it's quite easy to muck up the leather that way. I've used a 9" lineman plier for this pretty often.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I flipped a mouse pad upside down and using pressure while unscrewing they backed right out. Thanks guys.

I flipped a mouse pad upside down and using pressure while unscrewing they backed right out. Thanks guys.

Outstanding! Now that you have the cotton off I would highly recommend calling Tony and ordering a piece of his flax linen to replace it. I am a huge fan of flax linen as the second component.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I install them over a rubber pad in order to get them tight and that is also the best way to get them loose again.

Top Bottom