What's new

Remington R51

We have had this on display in the store for almost a year, a few lookers, no serious buyers. It followed me home tonight.

_DSC7792_DxO.jpg

If you are not familiar with the R51, it is a 9mm +P, 3.4", pocket rocket. It uses a fixed barrel with a locking breech block, originally designed by a gentleman named Pederson around 1910. Part of the design has the recoil spring around the barrel, instead of a below the barrel on a separate guide rod, lowering the bore axis. This significantly reduces muzzle flip, allowing you to get back on target much quicker, and a reduction in felt recoil. The original Remington 51 was a 380, discontinued in the mid 1930s. Remington revived the design and released the R51 in 2014 to high praise from the gun writers. Trouble was, they were all provided pre-production pistols which were hand machined and fit. Production guns were a different matter. Few functioned properly, many were little more than paperweights. After initially denying there was a problem Remington offered owners a full MSRP refund, or a R-1911, or a new R51 at a to be determined date.

Remington was also in the process of relocating the manufacturing to Alabama during this mess. They then determined the quality assurance process they had in place was insufficient to accurately inspect the R51 with its unique construction. New, upgraded, pistols were produced, over 1.5 million test rounds were expended in them. Customers who had opted for replacement R51s received new guns, multiple magazines, and a Pelican case before any were released for sales.

Current reviews are either 100% positive, or very negative, with the vast majority on the positive side. It does appear the firearm is very ammo fussy, disliking 115g low power stuff, but seems to run hot and +P ammo flawlessly.

Why did I buy it?
#1 - I like the looks, kind of Buck Rogers, art deco type thing. Doesn't look like every other piece of iron at the range.
#2 - I like the feel. No plastics here, solid metal. Feels good in my hand.
#3 - I don't have any other Pederson action pistols.
#4 - A hot, compact, 9mm +P could become my EDC, though it will have to work hard to knock my Model 60 and EMP 9 off their perches.

I've been eyeballing one at my local store. Maybe after the p938 Equinox gets off layaway.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reminds me of an old Walter PPK/s; actually my first fire arm. Had a couple nasty web bites when I rode it high, maybe a bit more impulse than floating barrels, but...

Good write up Bill. I do remember the initial reviews of the piece as being less than positive. It seems they may have that under control now.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The engineering is definitely interesting. Read all the articles; when it came out- and when it went south.

Though Remington fixed it, the reputation damage may be done.

If I could handle or shoot one, though, I might be won over. Engineering is a reason why I like things- like the CZ-52. I put hardened steel rollers in mine ...

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
When the new R51 came out, I was all set to like it, until I actually saw it. It's the Buck Rogers/art deco look that I disliked in addition to the negative press. If it had looked more like the original, I would have been all over it. I accept the blocky look of the Glock and my Kahr PM9 for what they are, but I would really love to have something in the old school look of the original Remington and Colt auto pocket pistols. However, I hope you enjoy yours!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
When the new R51 came out, I was all set to like it, until I actually saw it. It's the Buck Rogers/art deco look that I disliked in addition to the negative press. If it had looked more like the original, I would have been all over it. I accept the blocky look of the Glock and my Kahr PM9 for what they are, but I would really love to have something in the old school look of the original Remington and Colt auto pocket pistols. However, I hope you enjoy yours!

It's actually growing on me the more I look at it. Very low bore to hand. Looks like it would fit nice, slim & comfortable inside the pants. If you can't rack it one handed with those rear sights, you probably can't with any pistol. And it has that, "cute as a Warthog" thing going for it.

Wonder if you can get an aftermarket steel trigger for it?

Recoil is very tame on this pistol. The only downside component is the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A fun and informative review. I'd try one of those Remingtons if I had the need for an additional 9mm. I've been pulling for 'ol Remington to come through on this model. It is just a little bit different from the other 9mm compacts on the market.

"The original Remington 51 was a 380, discontinued in the mid 1930s."

Here's a .380 Remington Model 51 that lives around here. The Model 51 could also be had in .32 ACP though fewer were sold so chambered. This pistol is surprisingly ergonomic and very easy and pleasant to shoot. It's also quite accurate and this despite minuscule sights. Makes a person want to tote it, even some 80-100 years after its time.

Not bad for seven yards.

I shot one of the orginal 51 pocket pistols and they will make an average shooter look good and a excellent shooter look magical !

Sweet pistol. I love the shape. Is it easy to clean?
To clean? Yes. To strip down and reassemble? Once you master the required tasks it is as easy as a 1911, but the first few times... This thing makes a Ruger MK-III look easy.

Top Bottom