What's new

Reminder about refreshing the paste

I'm sure most of you know, but I just learned about the importance of refreshing the diamond paste on balsa, in between lapping.

Previously I'd only refresh the paste when I lapped the balsa. And I'd only do that when it was getting darkish with swarf. I only use balsa for a couple of razors, so it would be months between lapping.

My results have been good, but not really that different from my stone edges. Yesterday I was about to use a balsa razor and remembered a poste where @Slash talked about applying more paste in between lapping.

So I did.

And oh yes, a huge difference. Much improved.

I suppose all the stropping had worn off a microscopic layer of balsa and with it, much of the paste.

Anyway, something to remember.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I usually figure on 30 sessions before reapplying paste, and every two, sometimes three, applications get a lapping first. YMMV very much. Just be sure to wipe the balsa thoroughly with an old tshirt after any paste application.

I suppose when lapping three plates of varying sized grits, it would be important to different cloths, or paper towels, to avoid cross contamination.

I suppose when lapping three plates of varying sized grits, it would be important to different cloths, or paper towels, to avoid cross contamination.
As long as you work from the finest to the coursest grit, you can use the same cloth or sandpaper. Contaminating a course grit with a fine grit does not matter.

I’d steer clear of paper towel. It is very rough. A soft cloth of T-Shirt material is better.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I do not re-paste, I always lap and paste. This ensures that my balsa surfaces remain as flat as is practically possible. I have worked out that 6mm thick balsa should last about 10 to 15 lappings before it needs replacing. This means that balsa is cheap.

My three progression pasted balsa strops get lapped and pasted after about 20 sessions. My fourth, a 0.1um (only used as a hanging balsa strop for after-shave maintenance), is lapped and pasted after about 90 sessions (every 3 months).

This arrangement has worked well for me. The after-shave maintenance strop is due for a lapping and pasting next weekend.

Top Bottom