What's new

Remember the shaving cream that was self-heating?

This piqued my curiosity. I found an article from 2002 in the Wall Street Journal about commercial applications of self heating cans. The article says that Gillette released a product called "The Hot One" in the 1970's. Does that ring a bell?

proxy.php

I used to use that stuff too...in the late 70s indeed. I don't recall it being Gillette, though...

It did feel good. But now (older and wiser and with the time to over-think) I wonder what side-effects came with that exothermic reaction...:blink:

I remember using it too. Hot lather was the rage then (I still like it). We actually had a plug in heater that replaced the spray head on a standard barbasol foam can that would heat the lather as it passed through the heater.

I remember using it too. Hot lather was the rage then (I still like it). We actually had a plug in heater that replaced the spray head on a standard barbasol foam can that would heat the lather as it passed through the heater.

We had one of those devices too and I vaguely remember the one that was self-heating.

This piqued my curiosity. I found an article from 2002 in the Wall Street Journal about commercial applications of self heating cans. The article says that Gillette released a product called "The Hot One" in the 1970's. Does that ring a bell?

proxy.php

The Hot One. That's it. Someone should bring it back.

$IMG_20151008_094448_hdr.jpg I had no idea they did! They do still manufacture a face scrub that heats up. So why wouldn't they still do a shaving cream? Gillette estupido.

I remember the self heating one, too. I used it a bit as a teenager in the 70's.

Nowadays, I shudder to think what those chemicals were that made it heat up.

View attachment 605941 I had no idea they did! They do still manufacture a face scrub that heats up. So why wouldn't they still do a shaving cream? Gillette estupido.

I still have a tube of this. It made my face them almost purple near my mouth and parts of my cheeks. I'm glad I stopped using the stuff after two attempts.

One thing they had that I own two tubes of is the Gillette clear gel. I actually liked using it when I shaved with my Gillette Fusion ProGlide. Now I'm incredibly thrilled with my TOBS creams, various soaps, and all of my razors and blades that I've collected. I look at the modern gear now and view it like barbarism or the Spanish Inquisition. ;-)

IIRC, Schick had a shave foam can dispenser, with a 'heatable head' that you held under hot water for a couple minutes, and then it dispensed heated lather.

proxy.php

I remember the self heating one, too. I used it a bit as a teenager in the 70's.

Nowadays, I shudder to think what those chemicals were that made it heat up.

The heat is from a chemical reaction in the walls of the can, not the shaving cream itself. It's the can that gets hot, not the lather. According to the article I read anyway.

I was in the Army in the late 80s at Fort Hood (89-90). What a terrible place to be. Anyway, they kept giving me problems which not shaving close enough. It just really hurt, so I gave The Hot One a try. It stunk badly, similar to a hair salon with all those hair coloring chemicals. It did help some, but they still ave me problems so I just went and got a shaving profile.

I was hoping it was still around.

Top Bottom