What's new

Reloading bench hold down device for accessories

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@Whisky recently discovered the convenience of mounting an occasional-use tool on a board rather than on the bench. This way it can be removed and stored when not in use. I thought rather than reply in that thread the topic might be of more general interest, so I am starting this thread.

When I built my square reloading bench 5-6 years ago, I decided to include a design feature specifically for this purpose. I use it for my powder measure, case trimming tools, Dillon Super Swage, etcetera. The station I use them at is called the Rockler T-Track, and they are available in various lengths. The track is used in conjunction with some hold-down clamps.

Here is a photo of the square table. I made it square instead of long and narrow so my son and I could work at it together without getting in each other's way, and I like the design a lot. The top is three sheets of 3/4" ply and it weighs 210 pounds, so it is rock solid. It has some nice finishing features, like the edge boards covering the edges of the ply, use of Kreg pocket hole jig, but also some really easy to do features, like Simpson Strong-Ties for the leg system.

bench4.jpg

Here is a closeup of the T-Track.

bench2.jpg

@Whisky That's your ticket!

If anyone wants plans for this bench, PM me and I'll send you a link. I learned I should not link to a forum that also has a blog. If I get more than two requests for it, I will take the time to copy the build thread over here on the weekend.

Cheers, and Happy Reloading!

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
@JCinPA Thanks. I’ve seen the t-track before, but once again never thought of putting on a bench. Did you use a router for the t-track channel or did you install it when you put the table top together?

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I use the Inline Fabrication mounting system. You can route it into the bench for a flush mount, but mine is just bolted into the top of the bench. They make adapter plates for just about any reloading tool and will make custom plates to order. I have a vice, my Rockchucker, RCBS bench primer and primer pocket swaging tool on plates. I recommend it!

20200419_132453.jpg

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@JCinPA Thanks. I’ve seen the t-track before, but once again never thought of putting on a bench. Did you use a router for the t-track channel or did you install it when you put the table top together?

Used a router. Before finishing. You can rout a track and install one on your bench. Great feature.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thats a pretty slick holdfast system. Bench dogs and holdfasts can be indispensable additions to any bench.

The T-track is a cool idea. I have used big C-clamps to hold my sharpening grinders on the bench so I can put them away when not in use. Looks awesome John.

I just use Irwin quick action clamps to clamp most stuff down. I also have holdfasts. For my table saw I just filed down the heads of some carriage bolts instead of buying T bolts.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
The wood working bench tips are fine. For woodworking benches. Useless for reloading, however.

The clamps can work if you mount your tools on a board and your reloading bench allows for it. But seriously, if you have a router, or can even borrow one, the T-Track is so easy to do and works so perfectly, I seriously can't imagine not doing it.

Of course, we are talking about trimmers, powder measures, etcetera, not presses or tools that take a lot of leverage, although ti works great for my Dillon Super Swage.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That’s a good idea. I just have my stuff bolted to 3/4 ply and clamp that to my table.

Top Bottom