What's new

Reloaders, what's your preferred way to prime your cases?

Interesting for me to see how many of you guys using priming tools and not the press to do this.
I never considered to do this not on the press. Really never have an issue on the press, and side-ways or upside down primers are one in a thousand maybe.

For context, I'm Canadian. I don't currently own a handgun to reload for, or really any firearm that I put a lot of rounds through. I load maybe 100 hunting rounds a year (across all my calibres), maybe twice that if I'm working up a new load.

I also prefer the maximum amount of consistency from round to round, so the 21st Century Shooting giving me quarter thou precision on primer seating/crush is very much appreciated.

My buddies like to tell me I don't need match ammo for hunting, but it's the way I like to do it, hehe.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I prime off press for rifle ammo only. This is because after sizing I am going check case length, trim if needed, clean primer pockets and then chamfer and deburr. I do this even for .223 and .300 BO even though I load these on my Dillon 550b. All pistol rounds are loaded on the Dillon and primed on press. All rifle rounds except the two mentioned above are loaded on my Rock Chucker single stage press.
Well, this makes sense, even to me....I do not load any rifle ammo, just pistol (9, .45, 38 spl and 357 mag).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm on again, off again as far as priming pistol ammo on the press. One reason I'm apt not to prime on the press is that I process brass in stages, rather than doing the production line thing on the 550. I decap my brass without resizing, clean brass after decapping, resize and eventually prime. I'll process more brass than I'll reload in a single session, so it works out to have primed brass on hand to feed into the 550 for powder charging and bullet seating only.

I prime on the press, a Dillon 650. Everything I've reloaded to date has been 9mm and .40 for USPSA practice and matches. Just been doing the production line approach, usually around 500 or 1,000 per session. It's interesting reading how you guys that do more precise/quality reloading do it.

Top Bottom