What's new

Reliable list of blade coatings?

Even polymer coatings that aren’t PTFE are likely to be PFAS/PFOA compounds. I wouldn’t be surprised if the paper wrappers are PFAS/PFOA treated. Numerous times I’ve had the tongues on the cardboard displays show signs of absorbing oil off the blades, but the paper wrappers are impervious to this.

Teflon is an unmitigated environmental disaster. I don’t mean to sound hopeless but sometimes it’s better to stick with the devil you know. When the ban weenies went after pressure treated lumber and the scary arsenic in CCA, the industry simply switched to a different toxic compound, quaternary ammonia’s, that no health research existed. BPA was replaced with its chemical facsimiles BPF and BPS. Next generation fluoridated compounds will be marketed under the same guise, it’s the same thing but it’s safe until someone proves otherwise.
Thank you for posting that. I was keeping in mind that he is running all posts through a translator so all those abbreviations are probably going create problems.

I think we can all agrees that Teflon was/is a disaster, but arguably so is modern agriculture. Means to an end, blah, blah, blah. We are left with the legacy of post war industrialization that has very literally allowed us to exist, but on the other hand presents our biggest challenge. Razor blades specifically are a product that does not exist without mass manufacturing, whether we are better off without them is a question to struggle with. I don't think there is much argument that cartridges are multiple times worse. We are left with a "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" situation. They have PTFE coatings as well. I personally know there are enough vintage razor blades in my collection and out there to supply me for the rest of my life, so that buys time. But, the time to figure out what to do is right now. I don't think throwing our hands in the air and going back to beards is the solution. Maybe electrics are better, do they have coated blades? We need to focus on what we teach to our children, but what do we teach them? Straight razors? What else is there?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... Maybe electrics are better, do they have coated blades? We need to focus on what we teach to our children, but what do we teach them? Straight razors? What else is there?
The foils on electric are coated.

Teach the children straight razors? What a brilliant idea!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I did that a longer time ago - and failed miserably. Straight razors will not be environmental friendly at least in my hands. All that cleaning and bleaching stuff to get rid of those blood stains all over my bathroom and may be elsewhere contains chemicals, which are poisonous...for example
NaClO, Tensides and others.
Especially Chlorine is a very nasty stuff...
You need to work on your SR shaving technique 😊.

I read elsewhere of someone, who has mailed Treet about this topic and got back the answer, that all Treet blades are Teflon/PTFE coated.

One case of many, for I wish we would have reliable sources of information.
Problem is that often you do not get the right info when you contact the manifacturer. FE Treet also has platinum coated blades. So what does this answer mean? The platinum blades are also coated with Teflon, or did somone get a wrong answer? Anyway, to stay on topic and answer your question: no, afaik there is no such list.

Metal coatings like Chrome and Platinum are - relative to PTFE - harmless. They are chemical elements (and no compounds), which are
relative inert. Platinum is a even a noble metal ("Edelmetall" in german...my selfmade translation look really weird to me) and Chrome is
used for the prevention of rust. Recycling by melting and separation from the iron (stainless steel) shouldn't be impossible and - without
takeing the needed energy into account - harmless to the environment.
What other coatings exist?
Ceramic: This can be easily melted and because its much lesser density will separate itsself from the molten iron/stainless steel. I see
no problem here either.
What other coatings exist?
Back in the early 60s Gillette sold a silicone coated blade called Super blue blades. They were a huge success for Gillette until stainless steel blades came on the scene.

Chrome and chromium are not benign. Exposure to hexavalent chromium is very toxic to humans.
Chrome electro-plating, and cutting, melting or welding of stainless steel releases hexavalent chromium.
Absolutely , Platinum is one of the most common elements used in a safety razor blade coating. These components are very durable, allowing for a blade that will maintain its smoothness on the sides and sharpness on the edges. Platinum is known for its lustrous appearance.

i think you should look into a leaf twig or razorock eco .These razors use standard double edge blades that can be split in half. A single 100 blade pack should last you multiple years. That's a minuscule amount of waste in the grand scheme of things. Astra blades are stainless steel and have a platinum coating. there isnt anything in any literature that Indicates that teflon or another harmful polymer is used in the manufactoring of these blades. Another possibility is to invest some time into learning how to use a real straight razor, which is a realistic solution to the issue you have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom