What's new

Reliable Electroplating

This is a 1965 K3 Slim adjustable I had sent for plating to Reliable Electroplating. It was a two week turnaround from the time I sent it out, until the time I received it on my doorstep. I think it turned out incredible. The plating is smooth, shiny and even. I do have one before photo which you will see below. However, I put the replated Slim next to a cased H2 Slim I own which I would rate as very good to excellent in condition, just so you can see the subtle differences in the plating. The plating was done in the Slim's traditional finish, which was nickel. The cost was $45 plus $8 shipping and handling. It was great dealing with this company.

The "Before" Slim is the one in the middle and the cased Slim is the razor on the left in the subsequent photos:
$wm_normal_20130120_080502.jpg

The "After" Slim is razor on the right, in all photos.
$20130314_010317.jpg

$20130314_010718.jpg

$20130314_010438.jpg

$20130314_010614.jpg

Last edited:
Your razor looks very nice! I have been looking for a source for some re-finishing so I am glad to hear the you were happy with your experience. Might be a dumb question but do they have to dis-assemble the razor before they re-finish or does it just go in whole?

This may be a dumb question, but how do you initiate a transaction with them? I emailed them once and got no response.

Im looking to have a vintage razor replated and I think I recall some info from another thread that it's best to make a phone call to Reliable Electoplating.

This may be a dumb question, but how do you initiate a transaction with them? I emailed them once and got no response.

They are talkers. They like the good ol' fashioned telephone.

Your razor looks great. I have 2 slims that are in mint condition but I have a Fatboy coming that needs replating. I was going to wait a bit before doing it but the nice shiny pics are too tempting....

Looks great. I just got a call from them today that they finished replating my Fatboy and Slim (2 weeks after drop-off). I'm going to pick them up Monday morning. I'm thinking of dropping off a Gillette New to them when I pick these ones up (the shop is only 30 minutes from my house - luckily). Now the question just becomes, which paint type to use for re-painting the numbers....?

Mason,

Is Reliable located in Chartley or Norwood MA?

The directions on their page show Norwood but their contact info shows Chartley.

Jeff

Looks great. I just got a call from them today that they finished replating my Fatboy and Slim (2 weeks after drop-off). I'm going to pick them up Monday morning. I'm thinking of dropping off a Gillette New to them when I pick these ones up (the shop is only 30 minutes from my house - luckily). Now the question just becomes, which paint type to use for re-painting the numbers....?

Last edited:
Reliable Electroplating is in Chartley. I live in Norwood myself (about 30 minutes north of Reliable Electroplating). I had never heard of Chartley before. It seems to be a sub-section of the town of Norton. It's not hard to find (about 10 minutes from the junction of Rt. 95 & Rt. 495). I opted to drive there since it was relatively close (and saved the $9 shipping each way)...

I just got 4 razors back that I sent to them for rhodium plating and was not just impressed with the quality of work, but the character of the people. Dale is completely honest and extremely pleasant to deal with. Agree with earlier posts that these folks take phone calls, but they don't seem to cotton much to digital communication.

If you were to walk into their shop, you'd understand why they're not digital people. It's like walking into a factory that hasn't changed sine the 60's (i'm guessing because i'm only 31). It's good to see people who are true and honest to deal with though. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my razors back from them on Monday. I wil post pics.

If you were to walk into their shop, you'd understand why they're not digital people. It's like walking into a factory that hasn't changed sine the 60's (i'm guessing because i'm only 31). It's good to see people who are true and honest to deal with though. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my razors back from them on Monday. I wil post pics.
You won't be disappointed. Mine are absolutely perfect, and mine were all stainless, which apparently poses some technical issues to the extent that they will not be accepting any more stainless-steel razors for plating. With all that, the job was done perfectly. I've not heard anything but good about them.

Yes on the Testors paint. I used gloss black and wished I had used flat black instead. I also used a red for the indicator when I got my Fatboy back from Reliable. They do great work. When your razor is done someone in the office will call and tell you that they're done and ask for a CC number. Easy as pie.

Testers black.

Top Bottom