What's new

Reliable drip machine for home? Recommendations please

Well, the Cuisinart DCC-500 quit working, just under a year of use. It neither brews nor heats up the carafe. Still within the 3-year warranty. I will try to get through and let you know what happens!

my Technivorm Moccamaster is well over 10 years old (15 maybe?), i use it 5 days/week (on weekend i use a Chemex).. I had to replace the coffee basket lid, my wife cracked it somehow.
Expensive, but you know, cry once...

Cuisinart had a safety recall on another product. Every time I call the warranty number it's busy. Bad timing!

I got 15 years out of a West Bend Coffee maker, and 3 years out of a Mr. Coffee and now I'm in to year 3 of a Hamilton Beach one but I want to get a h
better one this year.

I brought one of my home Bunn machines down here when I came down to repair the hurricane damage on the house.

I am not certain but I "believe" that I bought this about 15 years ago and it is still brewing killa coffee. I've had it apart a couple times to perform a complete cleaning it but outside of the usual descaling I've never had any issues with it. Its twin sister is at the cabin in the great white north.

proxy.php

I eventually got Cuisinart on the phone; for $10 they will replace the DCC-500 under warranty. Acceptable but not great. Once the kids move out I think I will buy the Technivorm. I will miss the "sneak-a-cup" feature on the mass-market machines. Thanks all!

I spent $11 to send the broken DCC-500 back to Cuisinart. So far I have spent 2X70 +10 +11 = $161 but I have two working coffeemakers on hand. I will post any further developments. The most important lesson is even though I bought locally, the warranty does not mean hassle-free replacement.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
hifigeezer:
The Mrs. and I (for convenience), use our "Mr. Coffee" 12-Cup Automatic Drip Coffee Machine (our coffee of choice is Yauco Selecto Gourmet Ground Coffee from Puerto Rico [4 Tbsp of coffee per 12 cups of water])...primo! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
attachment.php

Why Yauco
proxy.php

Because in our pinion, this coffee is full bodied (and gets you going in the morning!!!), with a creamy and rich taste with almost no distinguishing aftertaste. :laugh:

proxy.php
"Coffee has its own subtle language". CBJ

Last edited:
I brought one of my home Bunn machines down here when I came down to repair the hurricane damage on the house.

I am not certain but I "believe" that I bought this about 15 years ago and it is still brewing killa coffee. I've had it apart a couple times to perform a complete cleaning it but outside of the usual descaling I've never had any issues with it. Its twin sister is at the cabin in the great white north.

My parents had a very similar Pour O'Matic back in the 90's. It lasted until just a few years ago when I helped them move and it didn't make the cut. I wish I had kept it, I've been on the lookout for one of these models for a little while now. They appear on the bay and Craigslist every once in a while but typically go for $50+ which just seems silly to me...

My parents had a very similar Pour O'Matic back in the 90's. It lasted until just a few years ago when I helped them move and it didn't make the cut. I wish I had kept it, I've been on the lookout for one of these models for a little while now. They appear on the bay and Craigslist every once in a while but typically go for $50+ which just seems silly to me...

They are stainless water boiler so a descale and they are back to being new inside.

I'm surprised it stopped working from moving it.

They're pretty indestructible.

I have had 2 of them for decades and they keep chugging along.

I am in serious "find it" mode for another CWTF-15 commercial for Florida....

proxy.php

They are stainless water boiler so a descale and they are back to being new inside.

I'm surprised it stopped working from moving it.

They're pretty indestructible.

I have had 2 of them for decades and they keep chugging along.

It actually didn't break during the move, my parents decided they wanted to "upgrade" to a Keurig and we tossed the old Bunn. If only I had known I was months away from discovering grinding my own coffee and that the old girl had plenty left in her.

Found one of them on Craigslist for $20 and very tempted to go pick it up...

EDIT : Noticed in another thread that you got another one of those commercial brewers in transit for FL and are re-retiring the home o'matic. Congrats on the find!

Last edited:
It actually didn't break during the move, my parents decided they wanted to "upgrade" to a Keurig and we tossed the old Bunn. If only I had known I was months away from discovering grinding my own coffee and that the old girl had plenty left in her.

Found one of them on Craigslist for $20 and very tempted to go pick it up...

EDIT : Noticed in another thread that you got another one of those commercial brewers in transit for FL and are re-retiring the home o'matic. Congrats on the find!

I'm answering this instead of your message......

Glad you got one locally as shipping them can be a nightmare if you don't know how to drain the boiler.

VERY IMPORTANT:

When you get it home you must "charge/fill" the boiler!!!

Bunn machines are not like any other coffee maker. They run from a full boiler and brew by water displacement NOT a pump.

When you get it home DO NOT plug it in.

Put the empty basket in.

Put the carafe under it.

Fill the water measure and pour it in (cold brewer no filter carafe under the basket)

Do this several times (emptying the cold water that collects in the carafe).

When you get it to the point that the water you pour in makes a "pot of water" the boiler is charged and ready to go.

THEN turn the machine on using the switch on the side (the switch on the front is the warmer plate switch NOT the brewer switch). The machine is ON when you see the red painted side of the switch. Keep this switch on until you finish the brew cycle as the boiler will fire up about half way through the brew process and you need this to happen to keep the water temp stable. DON'T forget to turn the machine off when you finish. One of the draw backs is there is NOT a light that tells you the boiler is ON or when the brew water is at temp. It is a seat of the pants machine and you need to know how to buckle your belt or you will not enjoy using the brewer.

Listen to the brewer and when it stops "growling" the water is to temp and it is ready to brew.

Add ground coffee to a "filtered" basket.

Make sure you have the carafe under the basket and are ready to go before adding the water.

As soon as you pour in the water it will start brewing so DO NOT treat it like a Mr. Coffee as you won't have the time to get the carafe under the basket before the coffee starts coming out.

If you need me to explain more just ask.

Once you understand how they work they make great coffee.

OH AND, it will take a gold basket but I prefer using the Bunn branded (not "fits bunn") coffee filters over the screen or after market paper.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Hi there,

I've got two words for you...Technivorm Moccamaster.

Covers all of your needs and it makes killer coffee! I absolutely love mine and don't anticipate the need to ever replace it (assuming a piano doesn't fall on it someday).

Good luck in the quest!

I've been using mine for many years with zero problems. I'm quite sure you will like the coffee better as well.

I'm answering this instead of your message......

That was a wealth of information, Mick! Very much appreciated!

How hard is it to break down the boiler? It's been advertised as "very well maintained and works like new" and looks great from the photos, but I'd like to break it down and clean out the inevitable lime build-up within the boiler.

That was a wealth of information, Mick! Very much appreciated!

How hard is it to break down the boiler? It's been advertised as "very well maintained and works like new" and looks great from the photos, but I'd like to break it down and clean out the inevitable lime build-up within the boiler.

Go to a "health food" store

Buy some citric acid (is a white grain and looks like coarse salt... This is used in pickling)

Mix a teaspoon into your water beaker (make sure you got the water beaker when you bought the brewer). Taste the water/acid mix. It should be sour like a super lemon if you have enough acid in the water, if not, add a little more.

Turn on the brewer.

Add the acid water.

Let the brewer come back to ready (i.e. don't turn it off, let it get ready to make another pot).

Pour another beaker of FRESH water in. If you want to see all the krud, put a filter in the basket.

Let it come to ready again. Pour through at least 3 more "brews" of FRESH water to flush.

that's all you will need to do.

If you want to do more, take off the top and wipe down the inflow. I am sure it will be gunky and the citric acid will only work on scale not dirt/gunk

proxy.php

Last edited:
I just decommissioned a Krups that I had for years.

I was shocked to see all the negative reviews of the modern day automatic coffee machines when looking for a replacement.

I finally spent $100 for a Bunn. I can not speak to reliability yet but it brews great coffee.

Go to a "health food" store

Buy some citric acid (is a white grain and looks like coarse salt... This is used in pickling)

Mix a teaspoon into your water beaker (make sure you got the water beaker when you bought the brewer).

Hmmm...so what if that plastic water beaker wasn't included...

Hmmm...so what if that plastic water beaker wasn't included...

Find a 48 oz measure and use that amount of water for a full pot.

You need something besides the carafe as the machine will start brewing as soon as you start to add the water. You won't be able to use the glass carafe as you won't have time to pour the water and get it under the filter before it starts dropping coffee.

You might be able to find one in a thrift shop or call the person you got the brewer from and ask if they have the Bunn beaker and just forgot to give it to you.

The Bunn one is narrow (on the right in this pic) so you know what it looks like

proxy.php

Top Bottom