What's new

Reliable and trusted online vintage shops

Good day to all, I was wondering if in England we have reliable and trusted online pen shops. In other words when you buy you get a nice working product that doesn't have to be sent back.
It happened that I bought my first Mabie Todd, nice looking pen, looking perfect on the website photos, affordable price. I was ready to ink it and noticed a thin crakc on the botom of the section. I brought out the loope and discovered that the section was cracked on both sides and the cracks reached the barrel. Now is this person blind ? Didn't this person notice the crack while changing the sac ? Really, I'm puzzled at how people work !!!
These type of events are putting me off the vintage market and vintage online shops. I prefer to buy new stuff, now. Cheers

Good day to all, I was wondering if in England we have reliable and trusted online pen shops. In other words when you buy you get a nice working product that doesn't have to be sent back.
It happened that I bought my first Mabie Todd, nice looking pen, looking perfect on the website photos, affordable price. I was ready to ink it and noticed a thin crakc on the botom of the section. I brought out the loope and discovered that the section was cracked on both sides and the cracks reached the barrel. Now is this person blind ? Didn't this person notice the crack while changing the sac ? Really, I'm puzzled at how people work !!!
These type of events are putting me off the vintage market and vintage online shops. I prefer to buy new stuff, now. Cheers
Ditto, in fact I only go to pen stores to buy pens as I have had a few bad nibs from online spree so I rather pay premium but try it before you buy it. Also, gives you a nice feel for the pen and nib amongst options.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Oh gosh, that’s terrible. I’m sorry I don’t know English pen stores very well. In the States, I would trust Anderson Pens and Five Star Pens. Both are reputable online dealers of restored vintage pens. They probably ship overseas, but I don’t know. I have had good luck on eBay. I don’t remember which sellers; I just checked the reviews to ensure they were legit and hoped for the best. The pens I’ve bought were well under $100, so I felt comfortable with the risk.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I would suggest, once we are able to again, attending a UK pen show. I know here in the US the shows are now just "virtual shows" but how's that gonna work? I want to hold the pen and talk with the seller. Anyway, once we get back to a semblance of normalcy in our social activities, I'd say join a local pen club and hit some big shows to have fun trying and buying.

• SOUTH WEST PEN SHOW 7th FEB 2021.
  • LONDON SPRING PEN SHOW 7th MARCH 2021.
  • NORTHERN PEN SHOW 25th APRIL 2021.
  • BIRMINGHAM PEN SHOW 27th JUNE 2021.
  • NEWCASTLE PEN SHOW 5h SEPT 2021.
  • LONDON AUTUMN PEN SHOW 3rd OCT 2021.
  • YORKSHIRE PEN SHOW 22nd NOV 2020.

Hi guys, hope all is well for you. I would have liked to attend a pen show but 2020 has been a write off. Lookin ad Doug's list some of the locations are very much Covid prone, so far. 2021 will be better ? Let's hope so. I don't mind if the seller says 'needs restoration' and I have to fix it. I get pissed off if the seller says ' woks fine and beautiful' with pictured and it is not.

Will second the pen show idea once it is safe. I absolutely love to going to the local one here and would love to make it to a bigger one on one of the coasts and the Columbus one is pretty big!

I have actually had success on many a pen purchase off of eBay. A large amount of vintage Pelikans from Eastern Europe. All have come as described and shipping was not bad other than the time in customs. (I may blame Nemo, but in reality I thank him for getting my interest towards vintage Pelikans!)

Top Bottom