What's new

Relationship between Blade and Razor

When I felt that the quality of my shaves was too inconsistent, I concluded that I was jumping across my twelve razors and different blades too much to allow my technique to settle. So I went back to basics, and selected a mild razor, the Razorock Mission, and a mild blade, a Vikings Blade Mild that I came by with a razor, and although it was far too mild for me, it gave me a good base to start again. I then stuck with the Mission through a Voskhod, Gillette Yellows, and PermaSharps, and found my technique again. When I bought a Rockwell 6S, I started with a PermaSharp on plate 3, then worked up from there, onto Feather blades on plates 4 and 5. Now my shaves are much more consistent, usually between very good and great! And I log my combinations so I know which worked, and which ones to avoid in future!

So for me, finding a baseline again gave me a way to finesse my technique, and develop my shaving from there. As has been said above, it pays not to jump around too often but rather to find a combination that works, and then only change either the razor, or the blade, not both, until your technique is bedded in and reliably consistent.

Top Bottom