What's new

Reinstate Pete Rose ???

Pete Rose now admits to betting on baseball and says that he is sorry...he had a talk with the commissioner and has not heard from him since,,,

If they let the other records stand with steroid use...what do you all think...Should they reinstate Pete Rose ???

Mark the shoeshine boy

hello mark,

absolutely not. nor should he even be eligible for the hall of fame. what he did was inexcusable and his apology seems to be insincere at best. my apologies for being so blunt but i take baseball and the integrity of the game very seriously (don't even get me started on the whole steroids issue).

thanks,
mike
(who bleeds dodger blue)

mark the shoeshine boy said:
Pete Rose now admits to betting on baseball and says that he is sorry...he had a talk with the commissioner and has not heard from him since,,,

If they let the other records stand with steroid use...what do you all think...Should they reinstate Pete Rose ???

Mark the shoeshine boy
Living near Greenville, South Carolina, home of "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, I say not until they reinstate Joe. Joe got caught up in something he knew little about until it was all over. He never tried to throw a game. His stats in the 1919 WS bear that out.

I don't feel all that sorry for Rose. And if baseball would go ahead and really ban steroids, and then stand by that ban, rather than be wishy-washy about it, then I say any future records from this point (like if Bonds keeps going) should be tossed out.

reinstate him. a life sentence of banishment from baseball for one of the all time greats is absurd.

this is more ridiculous in the era of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs. major league baseball has a commissioner who owns a team; itself a breach of ethical conduct. MLB refuses to address drug induced performance as long as the cash keeps rolling in.

With The Grain said:
this an assigned topic? what's your stance mark? Whether they reinstate him or not i dont often think about as he'd most likely never be given a job with a big league club again, maybe in the minors if he'd even want that. however it is beyond absurd that he is not in the Hall of fame, charlie hustle is the all time hit leader!

If he is reassigned, perhaps he will be nominated for the Hall of Fame...

Good point about Shoeless Joe Jackson....

I hear topics and bring them to the forum for discussion....that's all...

mark the shoeshine boy

With The Grain said:
rose and the black sox cases are not the same, pete rose did not affect the odds or lose on purpose, by all accounts rose never bet against his own team.
Neither did Joe. Only guilt by association.

Edit: "I hear topics and bring them to the forum for discussion....that's all..."--Mark the Shoeshine boy (our very own Linus.):biggrin:

The only thing Pete is hustling nowadays are a few bucks at autograph shows. He's an embarrassment to himself and the sport by his shameless self-promotion and how he's played the hurt party all this time, when he brought his problems on himself.

The HOF is not a birthright, its an honor. Pete Rose is the all-time hit leader and his not being in the HOF does nothing to change that--but he is not worthy of enshrinement in the Hall. That is an honor, and his behavior is not something we should feel obliged to honor.

I may be wrong about this and I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong.

Pete Rose is actually past the time limit for being eligible for entry into the Hall of Fame. The only way he can now be enshrined is by a vote of the veterans committee and it is widely known that it will be a cold day in Hell before they vote him in. So reinstating him to baseball would only really make him eligible to coach again and I do not think there are any teams that would be willing to take that shot.

Heck yeah he should be in. Pete Rose was an amazing player. He worked his tail off and was an amazing hitter. Gambling on baseball is wrong, but I think he's served his time. Let him in. You look at OJ Simpson, many people out there think he's a murdered and there's a solid amount of evidence proving so, while no conviction and he's on the Football Hall of Fame, but I'm getting off topic and it wasn't related to his playing, so....
Palmero will probably be admitted and he tested positive for steriods, that's outright cheating. Mark McGuire took substances that are now banned, again could be viewed as cheating and he'll be there if he isn't already. Sosa played with a corked bat. Bonds is under scrunity for steriods. With all the scandals in baseball, drug and otherwise, and Rose is banned. In my mind steriods is a bigger issue than gambling and from the current league stance and that of the union that isn't a big deal as long as their are butts in the seats and balls flying over the fence. In short, baseball is a great game, but flawed. Rose was a great player, but flawed. He belongs in the Hall of Fame.

JMT said:
I may be wrong about this and I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong.

Pete Rose is actually past the time limit for being eligible for entry into the Hall of Fame. The only way he can now be enshrined is by a vote of the veterans committee and it is widely known that it will be a cold day in Hell before they vote him in. So reinstating him to baseball would only really make him eligible to coach again and I do not think there are any teams that would be willing to take that shot.

I don't know about his eligiblity, but I do think teams would want him as a coach. He's Charlie Hustle, if owned a team, I'd want somebody like him working with my players. I think the lack of player's attitudes (work ethic) similar to those of Rose is something that is definately lacking in professional sports today. Players are more concerned with broads, money, sponsorships and endorsements than the game and it makes me sad. Rose played purely, despite anything else about him, nearly everyone agrees that he loves baseball and he played his heart out, that's my idea of a great coach.

All the evidence I've heard against Pete is that he bet on baseball. Never on or against his team or any games he was involved in.
You cant tell me other athletes dont bet their sports.
To NOT have Pete Rose in Baseball's Hall of Fame is a travesty.

Of course...IMHO....FWIW....YMMV!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
All I know is, if I were Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, or Barry Bonds, I'd be rooting for his induction.:lol:

Sosa, Bonds, McGuire should all be eliminated from HOF consieration. Pete Rose should not be in as well. Even if he were to go in it should mention his circumstance on the name plate so that people don't idolize him and that being said if I were him I would want to be left out.

Top Bottom